Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Question about fractional calculus

1. Feb 6, 2015 #1
    Okay, maybe not really fractional calculus but I don't know what this stands for. Its in the black circle (more like an ellipse though), what does the mu under the natural logarithm mean?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2015 #2
    [itex]E_\mu^t[/itex] is a function similar to [itex] e^t [/itex] in that [itex]D_t^\mu E_\mu^t= E_\mu^t [/itex]

Its often useful to define the inverse function. [itex]E_\mu^t[/itex] is similar to [itex] e^t [/itex] so we suppose that the inverse of [itex]E_\mu^t[/itex] should be similar to the inverse of [itex] e^t [/itex].

We call this new inverse function the generalized natural log, [itex]\ln_\mu[/itex], to highlight this similarity. In the case where [itex]\mu=1[/itex], [itex]E_1^t=e^t[/itex] and [itex]\ln_1 x= \ln x[/itex].

4. Feb 7, 2015 #3
    What happens when##\mu## is not 1? I don't understand how this is used. For example when ##\mu## is 2, does it mean that you use ##e## defined in ##E^t_\mu##? What does that mean though?

5. Feb 10, 2015 #4
    No. The function [itex] e^t[/itex] is always [itex] e^t [/itex], its definition does not change. The function [itex] E_\mu^t[/itex] is a different function, it sounds like it can be calculated using Equation 28 in the reference you posted (you didn't post the page that contains this equaion).

[itex] E_\mu^t[/itex] has the property [itex] E_1^t=e^t[/itex], but this equaility does not hold for all [itex]\mu [/itex]. For instance [itex] E_{1.3333}^t \ne e^t[/itex].

6. Feb 11, 2015 #5
    Yeah but as I said what happens when mu is not 1, other than it not being ##e^t##?

7. Feb 11, 2015 #6
    When [itex] \mu \ne 1[/itex] the function [itex] E_\mu^t [/itex] is defined by equation 28 in the reference you are using. The function [itex]\ln_\mu x [/itex] is its inverse. What part of this is unclear?

8. Feb 12, 2015 #7
    I think I understand now. One more thing, which area of physics uses fractional calculus? Is fractional calculus important in physics?

9. Feb 15, 2015 #8
    There are many examples of use in physics which are reported in the book of K.B.OLdham & J.Spanier "The fractional Calculus" AcademicPress, N.-Y.

The littérature on the subject is extensive. A short bibliography is given p.12 in the paper for general public : https://fr.scribd.com/doc/14686539/The-Fractional-Derivation-La-derivation-fractionnaire . Also, this paper shows an use of fractional differ-integration to generalize the basic electrical components.

10. Feb 23, 2015 #9
    Ralf Metzler has also worked a lot on these things. Here is a fairly straight forward introduction:
    The random walk's guide to anomalous diusion: a fractional dynamics approach
    http://www.tau.ac.il/~klafter1/258.pdf

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook