Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about mass eigenstates

1. Aug 14, 2012 #1
    I am very confuse about mass eigenstate. In some books they say'' If neutrinos are massless then lepton mixing is unobservable.Any Cabibbo-like rotation still leaves us with neutrino mass eigenstates''.
    I do not understand that statement.Why the mixing of some states gives a state being mass eigenstate?
    Please forgive me if it is bad question,I have to self-study physics in Vietnamese society.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Without neutrino masses, every superposition of neutrino states is a mass eigenstate, and therefore remains this superposition. In particular, every flavor eigenstate is a mass eigenstate, and does not mix.

With neutrino masses, the mass eigenstates can be different from flavor eigenstates. You can get 3 different mass eigenstates, and their flavor composition is given by the PMNS matrix (similar to the CKM matrix, just for neutrinos).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook