Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about politicians' names

1. Sep 2, 2014 #1
    Hi, all. As Tony Blair's real name is Anthony Charles Lynton Blair, but why everybody calls him as Tony Blair?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2014 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Tony is short for Anthony.

4. Sep 2, 2014 #3
    I have always thought that they were similar but different and abstract names. Thank you.

5. Sep 2, 2014 #4
    John Fitzgerald Kennedy was often referred to as "JFK," and Lyndon Baines Johnson was often referred to as "LBJ," but Richard Milhouse Nixon was never referred to as "RMN," and Barack Hussein Obama is never referred to as "BHO."

What's the logic here?

6. Sep 2, 2014 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Andrew - Andy
    Anthony - Tony
    Edward - Eddie, but in the case of Edward Kennedy, he was known as Ted or Teddy Kennedy
    Frederick - Fred or Freddy
    James - Jim or Jimmy
    John - Jack
    Michael - Mike or Mickey
    Lawrence - Larry
    Richard - Dick
    Robert - Bob
    Theodore - Ted or Teddy
    William - Bill (even Kaiser Wilhelm II was informally and derisively known as Kaiser Bill by the British)

A more complete list can be found here:

http://usgenweb.org/research/nicknames.shtml [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  7. Sep 2, 2014 #6

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

8. Sep 2, 2014 #7

russ_watters

JFK rhymes and everyone in LBJ was his choice.

9. Sep 2, 2014 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Headline widths.

10. Sep 2, 2014 #9

russ_watters

In LBJ'c case, it was apparently button widths.
    6a010536b86d36970c017c32aadbe6970b-pi.jpg

11. Sep 2, 2014 #10
  12. Sep 2, 2014 #11

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Archie Bunker always called him 'Richard E. Nixon'.

Nicknames and such are never about logic. Before he acquired LBJ, Johnson was known as 'Landslide Lyndon', after the controversy surrounding his first election to the senate in 1948. (LBJ won a party primary against a former governor of Texas and another candidate by 87 votes. It was alleged that vote fraud was involved in getting those extra votes for Johnson in that primary. Of course, Johnson won the general election and began his career in the US Senate, from which he became JFK's running mate in 1960.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyndon_B._Johnson

13. Sep 2, 2014 #12
    "Landslide Lyndon." That's funny!

14. Sep 2, 2014 #13

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Probably also Obama did not want to emphasize his middle name "Hussein" lest he lost a few paranoid voters......

15. Sep 2, 2014 #14
    Solomon = Salmon :eek:
    and
    Michael = Mickey
    Michelle = Mickey

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  16. Sep 3, 2014 #15

Maylis

Gold Member

Oh yeah, something I will never forget was watching the 2008 inauguration of Barack Obama. I distinctly remember when Bill Clinton and George Bush accompanied him, on the television they announced the names ''William Jefferson Clinton'', ''George Walker Bush'', ''Barack H. Obama''.

17. Sep 3, 2014 #16
    When a family have two sons, can parents give Tony to one and Anthony to another and same question for
    Michael and Mickey. Is Rickey same kind of situation of Michael to Mickey?

18. Sep 3, 2014 #17
    Tony Blair is a former public school boy with a posh accent, so to appear as "a man of the people" he adopted the informal, working class, "Tony". His press officer was rottweiller so he made sure that stuck!

The left wing press in Britain mock the latest attempt by a prime minister to appear as "just one of the ordinary folk" by calling David Cameron "Call me Dave".

19. Sep 3, 2014 #18
    What is the situation for one famous name Johnny which everybody knows from Johnny Wayne and I also know a basketballer formerly played in Greece named Johnny Rogers. It must be a derivative of John.

20. Sep 3, 2014 #19
    I think "aliases" are often used by relatives or among friends. Without a close relationship or being in a group, calling one his alias I think will anger him. But I don't know about who are open enough to accept any calls. Does English language have a word to describe such people ?

21. Sep 3, 2014 #20
    I have thought Tony as a former name but shorter so easy-to-say than Anthony. Then there is no one have a identity card written Tony on it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook