Probability of goat and parmesan cheese separated by a pickle

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter lola19991
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Law Probability
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
lola19991
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Dan put n different kinds of cheese in a row randomly, so that between two kinds of cheese there is a space. Then he puts a pickle on one of the n-1 spaces between the cheeses randomly. What is the probability of goat cheese and parmesan cheese (2 from n kinds of cheese) to be in the different sides of the pickle?

I know that I need to use law of total probability and define Ai as the pickle is found in the space number I from n-1 spaces, but I am stuck.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
lola19991 said:
Dan put n different kinds of cheese in a row randomly, so that between two kinds of cheese there is a space. Then he puts a pickle on one of the n-1 spaces between the cheeses randomly. What is the probability of goat cheese and parmesan cheese (2 from n kinds of cheese) to be in the different sides of the pickle?

I know that I need to use law of total probability and define Ai as the pickle is found in the space number I from n-1 spaces, but I am stuck.

Don't we first need the probability that GOAT and PARM end up together? Perhaps what may seem like an odd approach, tape those two together and see if it is easier to count the possibilities.