A question about the mode expansion of a free scalar field

In summary, the canonical quantisation of a free scalar field involves constructing a mode expansion for the field operator, which satisfies the Klein-Gordon equation. The term "mode" refers to the component ##\hat{a}(\mathbf{k})e^{-ik\cdot x}## and the frequency ##\omega(\mathbf{k})## corresponds to the frequency of each mode. The operators ##\hat{a}(\mathbf{k})## and ##\hat{a}^{\dagger}(\mathbf{k})## are referred to as the "frequency modes" for the scalar field, with each set corresponding to an independent harmonic oscillator oscillating at a frequency ##\omega(\mathbf{k})## for a
"Don't panic!"
In the canonical quantisation of a free scalar field ##\phi## one typical constructs a mode expansion of the corresponding field operator ##\hat{\phi}## as a solution to the Klein-Gordon equation, $$\hat{\phi}(t,\mathbf{x})=\int\frac{d^{3}k}{(2\pi)^{3}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{\omega(\mathbf{k})}}\left(\hat{a}(\mathbf{k})e^{-ik\cdot x}+\hat{a}^{\dagger}(\mathbf{k})e^{ik\cdot x}\right)$$ where ##k\cdot x:=k_{\mu}x^{\mu}=k_{0}t-\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{x}##.

What I'm unsure about is what exactly is the term "mode" referring to? Is it the whole component ##\hat{a}(\mathbf{k})e^{-ik\cdot x}##, or is it simply ##\hat{a}(\mathbf{k})##?

Furthermore, one has that the frequency ##\omega(\mathbf{k})## satisfies the equation $$\omega^{2}(\mathbf{k})=\mathbf{k}^{2}+m^{2}$$ but is ##\omega(\mathbf{k})## the frequency of each mode or of the field ##\hat{\phi}## itself? I think it's the frequency of each mode (with momentum ##\mathbf{k}##, but then, given my first question, I am unsure whether this is the frequency corresponding to ##\hat{a}(\mathbf{k})e^{-ik\cdot x}##, or is it simply ##\hat{a}(\mathbf{k})##?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't it just the different k?

Jilang said:
Isn't it just the different k?

Yes, but I was wondering specifically whether the operators ##\hat{a}(\mathbf{k})## and ##\hat{a}^{\dagger}(\mathbf{k})## are referred to as the "frequency modes" of the scalar field ##\hat{\phi}##, i.e. one set for each value of ##\mathbf{k}##, such that each set (corresponding to each value of ##\mathbf{k}##) for a particular value of creation/annihilation operators correspond to an independent harmonic oscillator, oscillating at a frequency ##\omega(\mathbf{k})##?!

1. What is a free scalar field?

A free scalar field is a theoretical concept in physics and mathematics that describes the behavior of a scalar quantity, which is a physical quantity that has magnitude but no direction. It is "free" because it is not affected by other fields or forces.

2. What is the mode expansion of a free scalar field?

The mode expansion of a free scalar field refers to the mathematical expression that describes the possible states or "modes" that the field can take on. It is typically written as a sum of different modes, each with a specific amplitude and frequency.

3. How is the mode expansion of a free scalar field related to quantum mechanics?

The mode expansion of a free scalar field is closely related to quantum mechanics because it can be used to describe the behavior of quantum particles. In quantum field theory, the field is quantized, meaning that it can only exist in discrete "quanta" or packets of energy, similar to how particles behave in quantum mechanics.

4. What is the significance of the mode expansion in theoretical physics?

The mode expansion of a free scalar field is significant because it allows us to mathematically describe and analyze the behavior of fields, which are fundamental concepts in theoretical physics. It also provides a framework for understanding how particles and energy behave in quantum field theory.

5. How is the mode expansion of a free scalar field used in practical applications?

The mode expansion of a free scalar field is used in practical applications such as cosmology, where it is used to study the behavior of the early universe. It is also used in condensed matter physics to describe the behavior of systems with many interacting particles. Additionally, it is used in particle physics to calculate the properties of particles and their interactions.