Srednicki QFT Chapter 4 time-evolved operator

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the time evolution of non-hermitian field operators in the Heisenberg picture using the spin-statistics theorem for spin-0 particles. The Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff relation is suggested as a useful tool for this derivation. The conversation also addresses a question about the use of commutation and anticommutation relations in the derivation. It is eventually concluded that the derivation works for both cases.
TeethWhitener
Science Advisor
Gold Member
In chapter 4 of Srednicki's QFT book (introducing the spin-statistics theorem for spin-0 particles), he introduces nonhermitian field operators (just taking one as an example):
$$\varphi^+(\mathbf{x},0) = \int \tilde{dk}\text{ }e^{i \mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{x}}a(\mathbf{k})$$
and time-evolves them in the Heisenberg picture with the Hamiltonian:
$$H_0 = \int \tilde{dk} \text{ }\omega\text{ } a^{\dagger}(\mathbf{k})a(\mathbf{k})$$
to get:
$$\varphi^+(\mathbf{x},t) = e^{iH_0t}\varphi^+(\mathbf{x},0)e^{-iH_0t} = \int \tilde{dk}\text{ }e^{i kx}a(\mathbf{k})$$
where ##kx = \mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{x}-\omega t##. I'm trying to derive this last line. So far, my approach has been to expand the ##e^{iH_0t}## operators in a Taylor series and calculate each term of the ##\varphi^+## directly. Based on my progress (I've only done through first order in ##H_0##), I figure I'll eventually get:
$$e^{iH_0t}\varphi^+(\mathbf{x},0)e^{-iH_0t} = \int \tilde{dk}\text{ }a(\mathbf{k})e^{i\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{x}}(1-i\omega t-\frac{1}{2}\omega^2 t^2 + \cdots)$$
Two questions:

1) Second order gives the term ##a(\mathbf{k}')a^{\dagger}(\mathbf{k})a(\mathbf{k})a^{\dagger}(\mathbf{k})a(\mathbf{k})+a^{\dagger}(\mathbf{k})a(\mathbf{k})a(\mathbf{k}')a^{\dagger}(\mathbf{k})a(\mathbf{k})+a^{\dagger}(\mathbf{k})a(\mathbf{k})a^{\dagger}(\mathbf{k})a(\mathbf{k})a(\mathbf{k}')##, and third order will give me permutations of terms with 7 creation/annihilation operators. Et cetera for higher-order terms. Is there a more clever way to do this that will make it clear that these terms all collapse to powers of ##\omega##?

2) In carrying out the evaluation of the first-order term, part of my integrand ended up being proportional to ##a(\mathbf{k})a(\mathbf{k}')-a(\mathbf{k}')a(\mathbf{k})##. I only get ##i\omega t## if I take this term to be zero; i.e., if the creation operators obey commutation relations. But that's what the rest of the chapter is trying to prove in the first place! Is there a way to time evolve this operator that doesn't involve assuming commutation (instead of anticommutation) at the outset?

Physics news on Phys.org
It could be useful to employ the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff relation $$e^{A}B e^{-A}=B+[A,B]+\frac{1}{2!}[A,[A,B]] + \cdots $$.

Likes vanhees71 and TeethWhitener
Yep that’s it. Thanks! Any ideas about my second question?

TeethWhitener said:
Yep that’s it. Thanks! Any ideas about my second question?
I'm not sure since I don't have all details of your derivation. But, isn't so that ##k## and ##k'## only are integration variables. Therefore, such a term will cancel if you do a change of the form ##k\leftrightarrow k'##?

Likes TeethWhitener
eys_physics said:
I'm not sure since I don't have all details of your derivation.
It turns out that I implicitly used the commutation relation twice in a way which canceled out sign effects. This means the derivation works for anticommutators too. This makes sense, since the BCH formula works for any Lie algebra. So everything is clear now. Thanks for your help!

1. What is the time-evolved operator in quantum field theory?

The time-evolved operator in quantum field theory is an operator that describes the time evolution of a quantum system. It is used to calculate the probability of a particular state of the system at a given time.

2. How is the time-evolved operator related to the Hamiltonian in quantum field theory?

The time-evolved operator is related to the Hamiltonian through the Heisenberg equation of motion. This equation describes how the operators of a system evolve in time and is given by dO/dt = i[H,O], where O is the operator and H is the Hamiltonian.

3. What is the significance of the time-evolved operator in quantum field theory?

The time-evolved operator is important in quantum field theory as it allows us to study the time evolution of a system and make predictions about its behavior. It is also used to calculate observables and make predictions about the outcomes of experiments.

4. How is the time-evolved operator calculated in quantum field theory?

The time-evolved operator is calculated using the time evolution operator, which is a unitary operator that describes the time evolution of a system. This operator is given by U(t) = e-iHt, where H is the Hamiltonian of the system.

5. Can the time-evolved operator be used to describe the behavior of a quantum system at any time?

Yes, the time-evolved operator can be used to describe the behavior of a quantum system at any time. However, its calculation becomes increasingly complex for longer time periods, making it more practical to use for short time intervals.