A question for mathematicians or current math PhD students

In summary, the conversation is about whether studying physics as an undergraduate helped mathematicians in their field. The speaker shares their experience of having a background in physics and how it aided them as a math faculty member, especially in designing courses for students in other disciplines. The speaker also discusses their publication record in math and how their quantitative skills acquired through their physics education have been useful in their career as a mathematician and engineer.
StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
Hi everyone. I wanted to pose this question to those who are currently working as mathematicians (faculty members or postdocs, or those who finished their PhD and are working in industry), or current PhD students in math.

Did you double major in mathematics and physics in your undergraduate degree? (for those in the US and Canada; some equivalent of combining math and physics for those outside of Canada and the US?)

If so, did you find that studying physics helped you as a mathematician? Do you think that you are a better mathematician because of your study of physics?

I welcome any thoughts any of you may wish to share on this matter.

Physics news on Phys.org
I served on the math faculty of the Air Force Academy for four years even though my BS and PhD are both in Physics. I was a candidate for a Physics faculty position at the same time they hired me to teach math there.

My background in Physics definitely helped me as a math faculty member. Many math PhDs struggled to design the core math courses to better prepare students for their downstream physics, chemistry, and engineering courses. Since every Air Force Academy cadet takes two semesters each of Physics and Chemistry and seven semesters of Engineering, knowing how the math was used downstream was pretty important.

I've only published a few papers in math: two in math teaching and two in applied math, so some would doubt my creds as a "mathematician." I have a broad quantitative tool kit that I bring to bear on lots of different kinds of problems. That tool kit was born and grew to maturity earning that BS and PhD in Physics, and was also very useful working as an engineer for 7 years for Cisco Systems.

Likes symbolipoint

1. What is the average length of a PhD program in mathematics?

The average length of a PhD program in mathematics is typically around 5-6 years.

2. What are some common areas of research in mathematics PhD programs?

Some common areas of research in mathematics PhD programs include algebra, analysis, geometry, topology, and applied mathematics.

3. How competitive is the admissions process for mathematics PhD programs?

The admissions process for mathematics PhD programs can be quite competitive, as there are often a limited number of spots available and many qualified applicants. It is important to have a strong background in math and research experience to increase your chances of acceptance.

4. Can I apply for a mathematics PhD program with a non-math undergraduate degree?

Yes, it is possible to apply for a mathematics PhD program with a non-math undergraduate degree. However, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and relevant coursework to demonstrate your aptitude for the program.

5. What are some potential career opportunities for someone with a mathematics PhD?

Some potential career opportunities for someone with a mathematics PhD include academia (research and teaching), industry (data science, finance, technology), and government (research and policy). There are also opportunities in consulting, science communication, and other fields that value strong analytical and problem-solving skills.