1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question on building research experience.

1. Jan 15, 2014 #1
    Hi,

I'm two years away from graduating with a bachelors and I am planning to apply to grad school. I know that research experience is important, but I haven't had any opportunities play out until now.

I got offered a research assistant position, but the research is not on science. It is basically a psychology research and my task will be to go out and interview people and ask them a few questions and use excel to save all the data.

My question is, when I apply for grad school, will they take this as research experience considering this isn't even a physics or scientific research?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2014 #2
    Take it if you think you can actually do it and you don't find something else soon.

4. Jan 16, 2014 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

When acting as a reference for someone, you are often required to assess the candidate across a number of dimensions. These include such categories as: communication, leadership, independence, and initiative. So, while the skill set and knowledge you gain from such an experience may not be directly applicable to your intended degree, such a position help to bolster your application in those other dimensions.

5. Jan 17, 2014 #4
    some of these skills cross over to physics research (spreadsheet programming, data analysis, and perhaps something more if you decide to do something related to neuroscience/physics ed)... so I agree with the other posters... you will get something to talk about, and that would be better than nothing. And then try to use it as a springboard to get into a research spot in your field... through your own department or an REU.

6. Jan 18, 2014 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Um...psychology is a science.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook