A question on these derivative laws

In summary, the derivative of a constant times a function is equal to the constant times the derivative of the function. This applies to any differentiable function, including power functions. This can be seen through the example of f(x)=cx^n, where the derivative is f '(x)=cnx^n-1. This is a special case of a constant times a function, where the constant, c, is multiplied by the function xn.
The_Z_Factor
In the book I'm reading it says here that the derivative of a constant times a function equals the constant times the derivative of the function.

It gives the equation f(x)=c*u(x), then f '(x)=c*u'(x) Where f(x) and u(x) are functions of x.

So if f(x)=5x^2, that's 10x. I understand how to do these problems, they're easy, but then my book says

If f(x)=cx^n, then f '(x)=cnx^n-1

It says this example is a special case of a constant times a function.

I'm confused here. For whatever reason I'm thinking that these two would equal the same thing if used with the same variables? Could somebody tell me what my book means when it says this?

Physics news on Phys.org
A power function is a special case of differentiable functions.

For ANY differentiable function f, the derivative of c*f is c*f', whether or not f is a power function.

The_Z_Factor said:
In the book I'm reading it says here that the derivative of a constant times a function equals the constant times the derivative of the function.

It gives the equation f(x)=c*u(x), then f '(x)=c*u'(x) Where f(x) and u(x) are functions of x.

So if f(x)=5x^2, that's 10x. I understand how to do these problems, they're easy, but then my book says

If f(x)=cx^n, then f '(x)=cnx^n-1

It says this example is a special case of a constant times a function.

I'm confused here. For whatever reason I'm thinking that these two would equal the same thing if used with the same variables?
This is the part I don't understand. What "two" are you talking about? 5x2 and cxn? Yes, if c= 5 and n= 2 in the latter, they are the same. And, of course, 10x is the same as 5(2x2-1). As far as it being "a special case of a constant times a function", it surely is: cxn is the constant, c, times the function xn.
Could somebody tell me what my book means when it says this?

1. What are the basic derivative laws?

The basic derivative laws include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule.

2. How do you apply the power rule to find the derivative?

To apply the power rule, you need to take the exponent of the variable and multiply it by the coefficient. Then, subtract 1 from the original exponent and make that the new exponent.

3. What is the product rule for derivatives?

The product rule states that the derivative of two functions multiplied together is equal to the first function times the derivative of the second function, plus the second function times the derivative of the first function.

4. When should I use the quotient rule?

The quotient rule should be used when you have a fraction with two functions in the numerator and denominator. It helps you find the derivative of the fraction by using the derivative of the top function times the bottom function, minus the top function times the derivative of the bottom function all over the bottom function squared.

5. How do I use the chain rule to find the derivative?

The chain rule is used when you have a function within another function. To find the derivative, you first take the derivative of the outer function, then multiply it by the derivative of the inner function.