Tronic said:
@ Thy Apathy :
I don't really get what you mean by " conditional offer of 31 " ? 31 what ?. Sorry but I am still a high school student and don't really know much about these things.
When applying to university, students don't always have their final grades in hand. The grades only come in a few months before the start of the first university semester, that is, assuming one has done their exams in the May/June session. Various examination bodies offer A-Levels and they have slightly different exam dates; some have them in January as well CIE, for instance, hold exams in May/June and Oct/Nov.
I digress. When applying, students use a grade that was predicted for them by their teachers. Say, IB student James applied to McGill with a predicted IB grade of 42/45, he was given a conditional offer of 32/45. That is to say that McGill will accept him as long as he gets the required 32/45, or better, of course. My point was that, the "big unis" generally give out significantly higher IB offers. ETH Zurich, Imperial College and Cambridge generally give out offers of 39/45+, at times, even requiring specific grades to be achieved in Higher Level subjects.
jtbell said:
For example, I think British physics students already take in high school the first-year calculus-based intro physics course than American students usually take in the first year of university.
No. :lol:
Physics remains algebra-based (and trig as well, I suppose?) throughout the two-year course. While do relatively advanced mathematics (calculus, ordinary differential equations, complex numbers) in the Maths course, it's used in that alone. If I'm not mistaken, a student not studying A-Level Maths, should be able to cope with the Physics, math-wise...
Sankaku said:
As it has been broken into easier chunks, students will often do an extra AS level now to hedge their bets.
In my experience, it's at least 3 A2 subjects and 1 AS subject.
I am sure this now varies by field and by institution.
Correct.