Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question regarding the definition of acids and bases

1. Jul 17, 2015 #1
    Hi!

I just read in an inorganic chemistry book (by Whitten, et al.) that acids are defined as substances that produce H+ ions in dilute aqueous solutions, and bases are those that produce OH-. To me, this definition implies that a substance that has yet to produce an H+ or an OH- can already be called an acid or base, respectively. Meaning, pure HCl gas that is yet to be bubbled in water can already be called an acid, and a pure NaOH pellet that is yet to be dissolved in water can already be called a base.

Is this correct? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2015 #2
    Is is correct in the sense of the definition you gave, but definitions of acids and bases can vary with context, and another teacher or scientist might disagree.

4. Jul 17, 2015 #3
    I see! I was just curious about this one. But thanks so much for the answer!

5. Jul 17, 2015 #4
    Look up the basic definitions of acids; Lewis, Arrhenius and Bronsted-Lowry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook