A quick and simple question/clarification on circuits

• Thread starter Pablo1122
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a circuit with fully charged capacitors. The question asks about the current in a specific resistor and its power dissipation. It is concluded that due to the capacitors being fully charged, there is no current in the resistor and therefore, its power dissipation is zero. This is because the resistor has a resistance of 50 ohms, but no current is flowing through it. The reasoning for this is shown by using the equation P = I^2R = 0^2(50) = 0.
Pablo1122

Homework Statement

http://i.imgur.com/zXJpa9J.png
zXJpa9J.png

Homework Equations

It = vT/rT
P = I^2R

The Attempt at a Solution

http://i.imgur.com/zXJpa9J.png
This is the question at hand. I've solved them all and I have a question for part c and d. Since the capicators are fully charged, the circuit becomes:http://i.imgur.com/jGjQRLJ.png
jGjQRLJ.png

Now, assume the question on my exam was i5 on r5 for c) and r5 for d). r5 does not exist on this circuit so will the answer for c and d both be zero or just d? It seems like they both would be zero since there is no resistor but part c is throwing me off as it's saying i4 = itotal.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
When the capacitors are fully charged, can there be any current in R5?

Likes Pablo1122
TSny said:
When the capacitors are fully charged, can there be any current in R5?
No, since that resistor would be gone. So both c and d with be zero right? I was just confused because it says i4 = it. And in this case, if we wrote it as i5=it then we'd get a current. What would I write to say that the current is zero? Simply that since there is no longer charge going through resistor 5, the current on the resistor is zero?

The fact that R5 is gone in the simplified circuit is not the reason why i5 = 0. Rather, it's the other way around. The fact that there is no current in R5 is the reason why R5 doesn't appear in the simpified circuit.

To give a reason why i5 = 0, suppose i5 ≠ 0. What would that imply concerning the charges on the capacitors?

Last edited:
Likes Pablo1122
TSny said:
The fact that R5 is gone in the simplified circuit is not the reason why i5 = 0. Rather, it's the other way around. The fact that there is no current in R5 is the reason why R5 doesn't appear in the simpified circuit.

To give a reason why i5 = 0, suppose i5 ≠ 0. What would that imply concerning the charges on the capacitors.
Alright, so current flows until capacitors are full. Therefore, since the capacitors are full there is no more current flowing through resistor 5.

Would that be the correct answer and would that be sufficient to write on an exam as the reasoning for it?

Yes, I believe so.

Likes Pablo1122
TSny said:
Yes, I believe so.
Alright, so i5 = 0A.

Then for d)"Compute the power delivered to resistor r5 in the steady state"

I would just write p = I^2R = 0^2(0) = 0 right? Or just state it's 0 due to the fact that the current is equal to zero? Should I write it as 0^2(50) or 0^2(0)?

Thank you very much for your help.

Yes, the power dissipated in R5 is zero because i5 = 0.

Likes Pablo1122
TSny said:
Perfect, thank you very much.

TSny said:
Would it make sense if I showed that by writing

p = I^2R = 0^2(50) = 0 or should I just write the power dissipated in R5 is zero because i5 = 0. The resistor would still have a resistance of 50 ohms even if there's no current going through it right?

Pablo1122 said:
Would it make sense if I showed that by writing

p = I^2R = 0^2(50) = 0 or should I just write the power dissipated in R5 is zero because i5 = 0.
Either statement seems OK to me, but writing out p = I^2R = 0^2(50) = 0 shows more explicitly why the power for R5 is zero. So, I would recommend using the more explicit argument on a test.
The resistor would still have a resistance of 50 ohms even if there's no current going through it right?
Yes, that's right.

Likes Pablo1122
TSny said:
Either statement seems OK to me, but writing out p = I^2R = 0^2(50) = 0 shows more explicitly why the power for R5 is zero. So, I would recommend using the more explicit argument on a test. Yes, that's right.
Perfect, thanks once again.

1. What is a circuit?

A circuit is a closed loop or path through which electrical current can flow. It is made up of various components, such as wires, resistors, capacitors, and power sources, that work together to allow electricity to flow and perform a specific function.

2. How does a circuit work?

A circuit works by utilizing the flow of electrical current to power devices and perform tasks. The circuit is designed with specific components and connections to control the flow of electricity and ensure it reaches the desired destination.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, components are connected one after the other, creating a single path for the current to flow. In a parallel circuit, components are connected in separate branches, allowing the current to flow through multiple paths. This affects the overall resistance and voltage of the circuit.

4. How do I calculate the voltage and current in a circuit?

To calculate the voltage in a circuit, you can use Ohm's law (V=IR), where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance. To calculate the current, you can use the equation I=V/R. Keep in mind that this assumes the circuit is in a steady state and does not account for all factors, such as complex circuits or changing components.

5. Can I build my own circuit?

Yes, you can build your own circuit as long as you have the necessary components and knowledge of how circuits work. It is important to follow safety precautions and to carefully plan and test your circuit before connecting it to a power source. There are also many resources and tutorials available online to help you build and understand circuits.