A quick projectile motion problem. Please help me Thanks

In summary, a marble is thrown horizontally with a speed of 23.4 m/s from the top of a building. It strikes the ground with a velocity that makes an angle of 61.8 ° with the horizontal. To find the height from which the marble was thrown, we can use the velocity components and the Tan function to solve for the y velocity component.
Miss1nik2
A marble is thrown horizontally with a speed of 23.4 m/s from the top of a building. When it strikes the ground, the marble has a velocity that makes an angle of 61.8 ° with the horizontal. From what height above the ground was the marble thrown?

So far I have found Ay= -9.8, Ax= 0, Vox=23.4, Voy=0. And Vx=23.4 (im not sure if I need that).

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
remember velocity is a vector too and can be treated like distances. Draw a triangle to represent the x and y velocities. if you set it up right you should be able to use the Tan funtion to find the y velocity component. I'm sure you can figure it out from there

Hi there, it looks like you are on the right track with your initial velocity components. To solve this problem, you can use the equations of projectile motion. Since the marble is thrown horizontally, we can ignore the vertical acceleration and use the equation x = Vx * t, where x is the horizontal distance traveled, Vx is the initial horizontal velocity, and t is the time.

We know that the marble travels a horizontal distance of x = 0 (since it starts and ends at the same horizontal position) and a vertical distance of y = h (where h is the height above the ground that we are trying to find). We also know that the time it takes for the marble to hit the ground is the same for both the horizontal and vertical motions, so we can set the two equations equal to each other:

Vx * t = x = 0
Voy * t - (1/2) * g * t^2 = y = h

Using the values you have provided, we can plug them into the equations:

23.4 * t = 0
0 - (1/2) * (-9.8) * t^2 = h

Solving for t in the first equation, we get t = 0. Solving for h in the second equation, we get h = 0.

This means that the marble was thrown from a height of 0 meters above the ground, which makes sense since it starts and ends at the same horizontal position. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the movement of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity.

2. How do you solve a projectile motion problem?

To solve a projectile motion problem, you need to break down the initial velocity into its horizontal and vertical components, use the equations of motion to calculate the time and displacement, and then combine the results to find the final position of the object.

3. What are the key equations used in projectile motion problems?

The key equations used in projectile motion problems are:
- Horizontal displacement (x) = initial horizontal velocity (vx) * time (t)
- Vertical displacement (y) = initial vertical velocity (vy) * time (t) - 0.5 * acceleration due to gravity (g) * time (t) ^ 2
- Final horizontal velocity (vx) = initial horizontal velocity (vx)
- Final vertical velocity (vy) = initial vertical velocity (vy) - acceleration due to gravity (g) * time (t)

4. What are the units used in projectile motion problems?

The units used in projectile motion problems are:
- Displacement (x and y): meters (m)
- Initial and final velocity (vx and vy): meters per second (m/s)
- Time (t): seconds (s)
- Acceleration due to gravity (g): meters per second squared (m/s^2)

5. How can I check if my solution to a projectile motion problem is correct?

You can check if your solution to a projectile motion problem is correct by using the equations of motion to calculate the final position of the object and comparing it to the calculated final position. If they are the same, then your solution is correct. You can also check if the units of your final answer are correct.