1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A relation to Le-chatelier's principle?

1. Apr 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We know about the equation:
    ##Fe+2HCl(g) \longrightarrow FeCl_2+H_2##. In my textbook it's written that liberation of ##H_2## prevents formation of ##FeCl_3##.
    But why?And how?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think it is related to the Le-Chatelier priciple . As ##H_2## is liberated more, the reaction equilibrium is shifted towards the products . So more ##FeCl_2## will be produced. But for ##FeCl_3##, I think there should be an alternative path for the reactants to produce ##FeCl_3## along with the path producing ##FeCl_2## and ##H_2##. I think this path is neglected when the reaction equilibrium is shifted towards the products of the other path.Am I correct , or is there any other reason for that?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2015 #2
    I think you're right. As you take away product, more product is formed. As far as an alternate route goes, the reaction could go Fe + 3HCL = FeCl3 + 3/2H2. If you are constantly taking away H2 then the reaction should constantly be shifting to the right and keeping the FeCl3 from forming.

4. May 4, 2015 #3
    I think the reaction I am talking about forms ##FeCl_2## not## FeCl_3##.
    Though ##H_2## is liberated in both the reactions why ##FeCl_2## formation is preferred? Is it due to the reason that ##Fe^{+2}## is the most stable o. S. Of ##Fe##. I am leaving the Le-chatelier approach, as it is working for both

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted