A sample consisting of potassium chlorate and an inert material

  • Thread starter Thread starter priscilla98
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Material
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
priscilla98
Messages
93
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A sample consisting of potassium chlorate and an inert material is intensely heated. The weight loss observed is 20.0 %. What percentage of the sample is inert material?

2. The attempt at a solution

I know when you heat potassium chlorate and another material, the mass would be more than the mass of the potassium chlorate and another material before heating. That's why I'm confused to the weight loss in this problem. Would you use an equation to solve this problem? I'm a little stuck on this question.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


priscilla98 said:

Homework Statement



A sample consisting of potassium chlorate and an inert material is intensely heated. The weight loss observed is 20.0 %. What percentage of the sample is inert material?

2. The attempt at a solution

I know when you heat potassium chlorate and another material, the mass would be more than the mass of the potassium chlorate and another material before heating. That's why I'm confused to the weight loss in this problem. Would you use an equation to solve this problem? I'm a little stuck on this question.



Would you use percent composition?
 


with manganese oxide, potassium chlorate turns to potassium chloride
 


Close, but not there yet. Try to write balanced reaction equation.