Reasons for error in percentage of oxygen in KClO3 lab

In summary: How can the windows in the lab have an effect on the experiment?If the windows were closed, the error would be smaller.
GiantSheeps

Homework Statement

I did this lab on percentage of oxygen in potassium chlorate and I got a percent error of about 30%. I now need to find three reasons for error, and human error does not count. I think one could be that the masses used in calculating the theoretical percentage of oxygen were all rounded off. Another could be that we did not allow all of the oxygen to burn away. Do those two make sense? Also, I need help with a third. My teacher said something about the fact that our lab was on the fourth floor of a building and the windows were all open, could that somehow lead to error? If so, how? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Procedure

1. Weigh a clean dry crucible and cover or Pyrex test tube.

2. Obtain a sample of potassium chlorate, KClO3 , as directed by your instructor. Place about

1.5 g of KClO3 in the weighed crucible, and reweigh. Use the same balance for all weighings

of the same sample

3. Place the crucible with KClO3 on a clay triangle and set the cover slightly ajar.

4. Heat gently for 8 minutes, then strongly for 10 minutes. Be sure the inner-blue cone of the

flame is just below the crucible bottom while you are heating strongly, and that the crucible bottom and/or clay triangle are heated to redness. Allow the crucible to cool to room temperature, which takes at least 10 minutes, and then weigh the crucible and residue.

5. Heat, strongly, a second time for about 5 minutes, cool and weigh. If the weighings after the first and the second heatings are not the same, i.e. they differ by more than 0.02 g; repeat the process of heating and cooling and weighing as needed, until 2 successive weights agree (within +/- 0.02 g).

6. Calculate the experimental percentage of oxygen in KClO3 based on the final weight of container’s contents.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wouldn't hurt to see your numbers. 30% plus or minus?

Was the original compound dry, or could it be wet?

Likes GiantSheeps
Borek said:
Wouldn't hurt to see your numbers. 30% plus or minus?

Was the original compound dry, or could it be wet?

It was dry, I believe. Here are my numbers:
  1. A. Mass of clean dry crucible 22.130
  2. B. Mass of crucible and KClO3 23.887
  3. C. Mass of crucible and contents after the first heating 23.441
  4. D. Mass of crucible and contents after the second heating 23.407
  5. E. Mass of crucible and contents after the third heating if needed 23.398
1) Calculate the mass of KClO3 used. (From Data B-A)
B - A
23.887 - 22.130
1.757g

2) Calculate the mass of oxygen lost by heating (from data B- final heating)
B -E
23.887 - 23.398
0.489g

3) Calculate the experimental percentage of oxygen in KClO3
__mass lost__ x 100 = calc 2/calc 1 x 100
mass KClO3
0.489/1.757 x 100 =
27.83%

4) Calculate the theoretical percentage of oxygen in KClO3 (from the chemical formula like we do in class).
(O + O + O)/(K + Cl + O + O + O)
(16 + 16 + 16)/(39 + 35 + 16 + 16 +16)
39.34%

5) Calculate the percentage error.
Percentage Error = experimental value– accepted value x 100
accepted value
((27.83 - 39.37)/39.34) x 100 =
29.26%Thank you so much for you help!

What effect would contaminants have?

1. What factors can contribute to errors in percentage of oxygen in KClO3 lab?

There are several factors that can contribute to errors in the percentage of oxygen in KClO3 lab, including human error, equipment limitations, and external factors such as temperature and air pressure.

2. How can human error affect the accuracy of the results?

Human error can affect the accuracy of the results by improper measurement techniques, incorrect data recording, and mistakes in calculations. It is important to follow the instructions carefully and double check all measurements and calculations to minimize human error.

3. What are some common limitations of equipment in this type of lab experiment?

Some common limitations of equipment in this type of lab experiment include calibration errors, sensitivity limitations, and instrument malfunctions. It is important to regularly maintain and calibrate equipment to ensure accurate results.

4. Can external factors such as temperature and air pressure affect the results?

Yes, external factors such as temperature and air pressure can affect the results. Changes in temperature can cause the volume of gases to expand or contract, leading to inaccurate measurements. Air pressure can also affect the speed and direction of reactions, which can impact the results.

5. How can these errors be minimized in future experiments?

To minimize errors in future experiments, it is important to carefully follow the experimental procedure, use reliable and calibrated equipment, and conduct multiple trials to ensure consistency. Additionally, controlling external factors such as temperature and air pressure can also improve the accuracy of the results.