Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A simple design for a solar-stirling engine

1. Dec 27, 2008 #1
    i have attached a .gif of a simple design i made for a stirling engine...i dunno if it would work or not, that is, whether conceptually (and practically) it is sound or not, so it would be nice if someone analyses this for me

thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2008 #2
  4. Dec 27, 2008 #3
    hmmm...when you say someone already tried it, does it imply he/she was succesful? as in did the engine work?

i am not sure about building it, i would look into a thermodynamics text to see the technicalities involved...but important thing is, is the concept right?

i also thought later (after posting) that as the piston is to move between two different-temperature-reservoirs, maybe enclose the bowl/cup in some sort of a box to make a greenhouse effect so that higher temperature is maintained in the bowl...and maybe, just in theory put a greenhouse gas like CO2 or maybe even CH4 in it :-p
  5. Dec 27, 2008 #4

Staff: Mentor

I would say it probably needs to be passively cooled. A pump would ruin your efficiency.
  6. Dec 27, 2008 #5
    right...thanks...but would it work? as in the whole thing?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?