A simple design for a solar-stirling engine

In summary, the conversation discusses a design for a stirling engine and the potential for its success. The speaker is unsure if the concept is sound or if someone has already tried it. They also suggest enclosing the bowl to maintain higher temperatures and mention the need for passive cooling.
grey
i have attached a .gif of a simple design i made for a stirling engine...i don't know if it would work or not, that is, whether conceptually (and practically) it is sound or not, so it would be nice if someone analyses this for me

thanks in advance

Attachments

• stirling engine.GIF
    stirling engine.GIF
    5.3 KB · Views: 578
Engineering news on Phys.org
hmmm...when you say someone already tried it, does it imply he/she was succesful? as in did the engine work?

i am not sure about building it, i would look into a thermodynamics text to see the technicalities involved...but important thing is, is the concept right?

i also thought later (after posting) that as the piston is to move between two different-temperature-reservoirs, maybe enclose the bowl/cup in some sort of a box to make a greenhouse effect so that higher temperature is maintained in the bowl...and maybe, just in theory put a greenhouse gas like CO2 or maybe even CH4 in it :-p

I would say it probably needs to be passively cooled. A pump would ruin your efficiency.

right...thanks...but would it work? as in the whole thing?

1. How does a solar-stirling engine work?

A solar-stirling engine works by using the sun's energy to heat up a gas, usually air, inside a piston. As the gas expands, it pushes the piston, creating mechanical energy that can be used to power a generator or other machinery.

2. What is the purpose of a solar-stirling engine?

The purpose of a solar-stirling engine is to convert solar energy into mechanical energy that can be used to power various devices and machinery. It is a sustainable and environmentally friendly alternative to traditional fossil fuel-powered engines.

3. How efficient is a solar-stirling engine?

The efficiency of a solar-stirling engine can vary, but it generally falls between 25-30%. This means that about 25-30% of the sun's energy is converted into mechanical energy. However, ongoing research and development are working towards improving the efficiency of these engines.

4. What materials are needed to build a simple design for a solar-stirling engine?

The materials needed to build a simple design for a solar-stirling engine include a heat source, such as a parabolic mirror or Fresnel lens, a piston and cylinder, a connecting rod and crankshaft, and a generator or other mechanism to convert mechanical energy into usable electricity.

5. Are there any limitations to using a solar-stirling engine?

While a solar-stirling engine is a renewable and sustainable energy source, it does have some limitations. It requires direct sunlight to function, so it may not be suitable for all locations or climates. It also has a lower power output compared to traditional engines, so it may not be suitable for larger scale energy needs.