Medical A Single Memory Is Processed In Three Separate Parts Of The Brain

1. Article below.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2006
  2. jcsd
  4. I didn't read any more than you posted here, cosmina, but the division into three parts kind of bothers me since two of the ones mentioned, the amygdala and the hippocampus are joined and always work together anyway with the amygdala acting as the stimulator of the hippocampus. This isn't a new discovery. The part about a separate place for unpleasant memories is news to me, but they seem to have ignored mentioning the very important phenomenon of procedural memory, which doesn't involve the amygdala/hippocampus at all, and still works even if there's bilateral hippocampal damage. Someone posted in a thread a few months back reporting they'd located a crucial area for procedural memory, (but, ironically, I can't remember what thread this was in)
  5. Thanks, I wasnt aware of that. I am pretty much a layperson when it comes to neuroscience.
  6. Me too. I was just googling the limbic system one night and ran into several mentions of how the amydala activates the hippocampus. If that connection gets severed for any reason, memory suffers dramatically.

The procedural memory thing came up when I was reading about a patient with bilateral hippocampal removal (to stop seizures, I think. A radical, experimental procedure that has probably been abandoned since it destroys memory formation.) This patient couldn't remember anything for more than about ten minutes. Still, they could teach him procedures, if they didn't take more than ten minutes to teach. The next day, if they asked him to perform a procedure they'd taught him the day before, he could do it, but had no idea why he knew how to do it or where he'd learned it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?