Sign convention for Q and W in the first law of thermodynamics

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
FermiParadox
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
eqn-3-4.png

eqn-5-5.png


O_o. I know this is a really stupid question, but how the heck did the Q - W get to the other side of the equation? Shouldn't it be W - Q? I'm going to feel really stupid when I hear the answer, I'm sure, and I'm already done with the class so it's ultimately irrelevant, but I'd love to know.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Since you don't have an expert answer yet, I will try for an easy one. I am sure the experts will shoot me down if my thinking is wrong...

Q(dot) - Ws(dot) is still on the left in the final equation.

Substitute each term for a letter. Let us use u, v and w. Put a pair of brackets round Q(dot) - Ws(dot) and that is u.

Then you start with u + v - w = 0

Adding w gives u + v = w

Subtracting v gives u = w - v

u still equals Q(dot) - Ws(dot)

(The term on the right hand side has been simplified from w - v for your final equation).
 
Last edited:
Bandit127 said:
Since you don't have an expert answer yet, I will try for an easy one. I am sure the experts will shoot me down if my thinking is wrong...

Q(dot) - Ws(dot) is still on the left in the final equation.

Substitute each term for a letter. Let us use u, v and w. Put a pair of brackets round Q(dot) - Ws(dot) and that is u.

Then you start with u + v - w = 0

Adding w gives u + v = w

Subtracting v gives u = w - v

u still equals Q(dot) - Ws(dot)

(The term on the right hand side has been simplified from w - v for your final equation).

Dude, that makes total sense. It simultaneously explains where the "change in" signs on enthalpy and kinetic and potential came from. Thanks a ton.