Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A small question about the French Open

1. Jun 6, 2010 #1
    It's the final just right now. Anh I have a small question: It's clay and the shoes of players are all dirty, but the balls look not so. Quite clean? is that right? Anyone ever being inside the court could explain?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2010 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

They change the balls regularly.

4. Jun 6, 2010 #3
    I'm not sure, but when I was a child, I remember seeing my Mom clean her rugs by hanging them on a line and beating the dirt out of them with a broom. Perhaps the constant smacking with a racket has the same cleaning effect on the ball.

By the way I'm watching it now too. That Nadal is really amazing. Soderling is throwing everything he can at him and Nadal seems to have no weakness.

5. Jun 6, 2010 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Well they change the balls - not sure how many in play though, and perhaps when the ball is hit by each racket, the dust gets knocked off.

The ball spends much less time in contact with the ground, while the shoes are in continuous contact throughout the match.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook