1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A space craft's speed due to gravitaitonal force

1. Nov 9, 2009 #1
    I have this question on a practice test I am using to study. Thanks for any assistance.

I believe it is a Energy Principle question

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A spacecraft is coasting towards mars. The mass of Mars is 6.4e^23 kg and its radius is 3400km. When the spacecraft is 7000km from the center of mars, the spacecrafts speed is 3000 m/s. Later, when the spacecraft is 4000 km from the center of mars, what is its speed?

(i think the following is unimportant, but here it is anyways:)
    Assume that the effects of mars two tiny moons, the other planets, and the sun are negligible. Precision is required to land on mars, so make an accurate calculation, not a rough, approximate calculation. Start from a fundamental principle.

2. Relevant equations

Energy Initial = Energy Final + work (both the spacecraft and planet are in the system, so work is 0)

Kinetic Energy = .5*mass*velocity^2

Potential energy = -G*mass1*MASS2/radius

3. The attempt at a solution

Ksi+KMi+Ui+mc2+Mc2=Ksf+KMf+Uf+mc2+Mc2

Mc2 cancels
    mc2 cancels
    KM has a near zero change, so it cancels

Leaving

Ksi+Ui=Ksf+Uf

Plugging in I get

.5*m*(3000)2+(-6.7e-11)*(m*(6.4e23)/(7000)=.5*m*(v)2+(-6.7e-11)*(m*(6.4e23)/(4000)

The m's (mass of craft) should cancel out on both sides,

and solving for v i get 95904 m/s

The key for the practice test (which doesnt give any work) states 4.3e3 m/s

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2009 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

You've got a unit problem because you used m/s for v but km for r. Be sure to use only meters (you can't only use kilometers because 6.7e-11 has units of m^3/(kgs^2).

4. Nov 9, 2009 #3

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Also, it's unnecessary to include the rest mass energy or the kinetic energy change of the planet when doing problems like this. Just write Ki+Ui=Kf+Uf and everyone will understand what you mean.

5. Nov 9, 2009 #4
    sweet. i feel silly for overlooking that

glad i did that now and not on the test.

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook