1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Early test flights for the space shuttle used a glider

1. Apr 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Early test flights for the space shuttle used a "glider" (mass of 940 kg including pilot). After a horizontal launch at 470 km/h at a height of 4000 m, the glider eventually landed at a speed of 210 km/h . What would its landing speed have been in the absence of air resistance(in km/h)? What was the average force of air resistance exerted on it if it came in at a constant glide angle of 15 degrees to the Earth's surface?

2. Relevant equations
    Ki + Ui = Kf + Uf
    .5mv[tex]^{2}[/tex]+mgh=.5mv[tex]^{2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not so sure about the second question but here's what I did for the first one.
    I changed the units so that the answer would be in km/h.
    g=35.28 km/h
    h=4 km
    v[tex]^{2}[/tex]=[2(.5mv[tex]^{2}[/tex]+mgh)]/m
    v[tex]^{2}[/tex]=[2(.5(940)(470)[tex]^{2}[/tex]+(940)(35.28)(4)]=221182.24
    v=470km/h
    Unfortunately, this answer is incorrect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2009 #2
    Re: Glider

g is acceleration? The units could be kilometers per hour squared, rather than kilometers per hour.

4. Apr 5, 2009 #3

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

In the absence of air resistance, the horizontal velocity will remain as it is.
    Find its velocity when if falls through 4 km. The resultant of this velocity and the horizontal velocity will give the landing velocity.

5. Apr 5, 2009 #4

Thanks. I got the first part. As for the second question, I'm not quite sure how to go about it. I think I'm suppose to use F=ma. So I caculated the acceleration.
    a=(v[tex]^{2}[/tex]-v[tex]^{2}_{0}[/tex])/(2x)
    a=(210[tex]^{2}[/tex]-470[tex]^{2}[/tex])/((2)(4))=-22100

F=ma=(940)(-22100)=-2077400

But that only gets me the force of the gilder and doesn't include friction. I was also thinking that I should get the sum of forces.So
    F[tex]_{gilder}[/tex]-F[tex]_{friction}[/tex]=ma
    I don't think that's quite right either. There suppose to be a 15 degree angle but I don't know where it goes. Can somebody help me?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook