1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A spring-block system on a frictional plane

1. Mar 16, 2007 #1
    Maybe I should have posted this question in 'elementary physics' but the question seemed rather difficult to me(although involving elementary concepts) so i am posting it at this forum.Here goes.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A block of mass m is attached to a spring of spring constant k.the other end of the spring is attached to a wall.The mass rests on a surface with friction coefficient [tex]\mu[/tex].Now the mass is given a displacement [tex]x_{0}[/tex] from its equilibrium position.Calculate x at any subsequent time.

2. Relevant equations

The forces acting on the block are(taking the equilibrium position as origin)
    force due to the spring:
    [tex]\\F_{spring} = -kxi\hat \\
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \\ F_{friction} = \mu mgi\hat \\ \mbox{ when the block is moving in the -i direction}
    [/tex]

[tex]
    F_{friction} = -\mu mgi\hat \\ \mbox{ when the block is moving in +i direction}
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The equations i obtain are
    [tex] m\ddot x +kx = \mu mg\ \mbox{when moving towards -i} \\
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    \\ \mbox{and} m\ddot x + kx = -\mu mg\ \mbox{when moving towards +i}
    [/tex]
    Solving them i get,for the first half cycle:
    [tex]
    \\x = (x_{0} - \frac{\mu mg}{k})\cos \frac{k}{m}t + \frac{\mu mg}{k}\\
    [/tex]
    [tex]

\mbox{At the end of the first half cycle,the position of the block is,then } x'_{0} = -x_{o} + 2\frac{\mu mg}{k}
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    \\ \mbox{Now,if i take t= 0 at} x= x'_{0} \ \mbox{ ,i get,from solving the second differential equation}[/tex]
    [tex]
    \\x = -( x'_{o}+ \frac{\mu mg}{k}) \cos \frac{k}{m}t - \frac{\mu mg}{k}
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    \mbox{At the end of this half-cycle the position is }
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    x_{0} - 4\frac{\mu mg}{k}
    [/tex]

So i'm getting the result that for each half cycle the distance traversed goes down by [tex] 2\frac{\mu mg}{k}[/tex].I get the same reult from work-energy theorem.
    is my method correct?if yes,is there a more elegant way of doing it?is there at least an elegant way of writing the answer?In my answer i'm putting t=0 at the start of each half-cycle,so i can't boil it down to less than 2 equations.

P.S:this is te first time i'm using latex.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2007 #2
    this looks all right.must've edited it 20 times or so! how does one start a new line in latex here? \\ doesn't seem to work.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  4. Mar 16, 2007 #3

Mentz114

Gold Member

This might help,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_oscillator

most of the damped SHO models have a damping force proportional to velocity, different from yours.

5. Mar 16, 2007 #4
    thanx mentz,but that doesn't help.
    yep,this is different from your usual damped oscillator,which is why i'm finding it difficult(and interesting)!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?