A spring is compressed by 90 cm

In summary, the problem involves a spring that is compressed by 90 cm at the bottom of a frictionless hill of height 18m. When released, the spring propels a 2 kg block over the hill with a speed of 6 m/s. The task is to find the force constant (spring constant) of the spring. The correct equation to use is the elastic energy equals the sum of potential energy and kinetic energy. For the second part of the question, the only difference is the speed of the block at the top of the hill. Solving for this, the smallest compression of the spring that will allow the block to reach the top of the hill without sliding down can be determined.
ScienceGeek24

Homework Statement

A spring is compressed by 90 cm at the bottom of a frictionless hill of height 18m. the spring is realeased and propels a 2 kg block over the hill. At the top of the hill, the block's speed is 6 m/s. Find the force constant (spring constant) of the spring.

Homework Equations

1/2kx^2, 1/2mv^2 and mgy

The Attempt at a Solution

mgy=1/2kx^2+1/2mv^2 I solved for K and it did no give me the right answer. what I'm I doing wrong is this the right set up?

Physics news on Phys.org
ScienceGeek24 said:

Homework Statement

A spring is compressed by 90 cm at the bottom of a frictionless hill of height 18m. the spring is realeased and propels a 2 kg block over the hill. At the top of the hill, the block's speed is 6 m/s. Find the force constant (spring constant) of the spring.

Homework Equations

1/2kx^2, 1/2mv^2 and mgy

The Attempt at a Solution

mgy=1/2kx^2+1/2mv^2 I solved for K and it did no give me the right answer. what I'm I doing wrong is this the right set up?

At the beginning, the whole energy of the system is in the elastic energy of the spring. When the block is at the top of the hill, the energy is in the potential energy of the block and the kinetic energy of the block. Thus, it's NOT the potential energy which equals the sum of the elastic energy and the kinetic energy as you have written BUT the elastic energy which equals the sum of the potential energy and the kinetic energy.

thanks man it worked!

ScienceGeek24 said:
thanks man it worked!

Glad to help.

But i forgot also to emphazie the second part of the question where is asking waht is the smallest compression of the spring that will allow the block to reach the op of the hill and not slide down?

I tried Fs=-kdeltax and it did not give me the right answer.

than i tried the same thing from part 1 solving for x and nope.

ScienceGeek24 said:
But i forgot also to emphazie the second part of the question where is asking waht is the smallest compression of the spring that will allow the block to reach the op of the hill and not slide down?

I tried Fs=-kdeltax and it did not give me the right answer.

than i tried the same thing from part 1 solving for x and nope.

The only difference to part 1 of the question is that now the speed of the block at the top of the hill is not 6 m/s but... how much?

om/s yess! thanks man!

What is a compressed spring?

A compressed spring is a type of mechanical spring that has been compressed or pushed together, resulting in a decrease in its overall length.

How much has the spring been compressed by?

The spring has been compressed by 90 cm, meaning that its original length has been reduced by 90 cm.

What causes a spring to become compressed?

A spring can become compressed through various methods, such as applying a force or weight to one end of the spring or squeezing it between two objects.

What are some common uses of compressed springs?

Compressed springs are commonly used in mechanical devices such as shock absorbers, car suspension systems, and door hinges.

How does the compression of a spring affect its properties?

When a spring is compressed, it stores potential energy that can be released when the compression force is removed. This can affect the spring's elasticity and its ability to return to its original shape.