A spring loaded gun question from my test.

In summary, the question involves finding the maximum height a .16kg mass can reach when fired from a spring loaded gun with a compressed distance of .10 m and an elastic potential energy of .85 J. The solution involves using the formulas for spring energy and maximum height energy, setting them equal to each other and solving for the height. Alternatively, one can use the formula E = mgh to solve directly for the height.
Krislynn
A spring loaded gun question from my test. Please Help!

Homework Statement

Suppose a .16kg mass on a spring loaded gun that has been compressed .10 m has elastic potential energy of .85 J. How high above the spring's equilibrium point can the gun fire the mass if the mass is fired straight into the air?

Homework Equations

I am not even sure which equations to use!

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

Welcome to PF, Krislynn.
The question is about energy. You are given the energy stored in the spring, so you must look up the formula for that. The spring energy is converted to the kind of energy the mass has when it is at its maximum height. You will need the formula for that kind of energy, too. The energy is entirely converted from one form to another, so you just put an equal sign between the two energy formulas, put in the numbers you know and solve for the height.

Thank you so much!

Most welcome! I now see you didn't need the spring energy formula because the energy was given. Just E = mgh should solve it.

or if you feel like doing it the really clunky and obtuse way (what I did for some reason), .85=(mv^2)/2 solve for v and then its a really easy kinematics problem

1. How does a spring-loaded gun work?

A spring-loaded gun works by using the potential energy stored in a compressed spring to propel a projectile forward. When the trigger is pulled, the spring is released, causing it to rapidly expand and push the projectile out of the gun barrel.

2. What is the purpose of a spring in a spring-loaded gun?

The spring in a spring-loaded gun serves as the source of energy for firing the projectile. By compressing the spring, potential energy is stored, which is then converted into kinetic energy to propel the projectile.

3. How is the power of a spring-loaded gun determined?

The power of a spring-loaded gun is determined by a combination of factors, including the strength and tension of the spring, the weight and size of the projectile, and the design and mechanics of the gun itself.

4. Is a spring-loaded gun dangerous?

Like any weapon, a spring-loaded gun can be dangerous if not used properly. It is important to follow all safety precautions and handle the gun with care to avoid injury to yourself or others.

5. Can a spring-loaded gun be used for hunting or self-defense?

Some spring-loaded guns may be suitable for hunting small game or for self-defense, but it is important to check local laws and regulations before using one for these purposes. Additionally, the power and accuracy of a spring-loaded gun may vary, so it is important to choose the appropriate gun for the intended use.