A suggestion for future versions

• Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date
In summary, a second watch section for suspicious users would be fine. Also a partition along forums for the ordinary watch list would be nice.
fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2023 Award
I frequently see posts of members which are bound to end up as spammers. Normally I would set them on watch to see if I'm either right or wrong. However, I don't really want to watch their activities. My conclusion is: a second watch section for suspicious users would be fine.

Also a partition along forums for the ordinary watch list would be nice. I sometime get an alert "... is following you now" and I have to think each time: "Oh, dear, better expect a lot of nonsense in the leisure forums." So a "follows in forum xy" might be better.

Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
second watch section... ordinary watch list
Moderator/Mentor features? You're posting this publicly as a "scaretroll?"

Bystander said:
Moderator/Mentor features? You're posting this publicly as a "scaretroll?"
No, it has nothing to do with the role. As an ordinary member, I can still be interested how things evolve and whether a report is due or not. As soon as you read the New Member Forum, you will automatically see posts which look suspicious, because if people talk about their profession, it can go either way. Similar in threads with problematic topics: evolution, medical, politics. My suggestion is thought to affect all who are interested to keep PF free of spam.

And a distinction among the follow forums is, too, an ordinary matter. If people follow me if I've written something smart in a technical forum, they might be disappointed by what I write in "Lame Jokes". So again no matter of my role.

Likes weirdoguy
The "lists;" not available to "rank and file."

Bystander said:
The "lists;" not available to "rank and file."
I think he just means his list of people he "follows". I never use the feature but it's there. And I recall one of the mentors commenting that being followed by a mentor says something about the quality of your posts - not necessarily something good though.

fresh_42 said:
I frequently see posts of members which are bound to end up as spammers.

Why can't I see any spam threads?Is it because you delete them quickly?

e-pie said:
Why can't I see any spam threads?Is it because you delete them quickly?
Yes, they are usually reported quickly so that moderators can delete them if they don't see them by themselves. From time to time we get DOS attacks, in which case it might last a little bit longer.

fresh_42 said:
DOS attacks

Don't you use something like Cloudflare?

e-pie said:
Don't you use something like Cloudflare?
Yes, this was a sloppy wording. I meant bots which manage to sign in and create many threads with spam posts in a very short time.

Okay. I see many robots in members page. What do they do? Run some automated script to check each posts and report necessarily?

e-pie said:
Okay. I see many robots in members page. What do they do? Run some automated script to check each posts and report necessarily?
I don't know enough about the forums software, so I cannot answer this. But certain links are automatically shifted into moderation, which doesn't always select the correct ones, but at least give us time to decide.

Okay!

e-pie said:
No, these are tools from e.g. external search engines (like Google) checking the forum for new content.
The forum has its own tools to fight spam but these tools don't appear as visitors.

1. How can we ensure that the suggested feature will be implemented in future versions?

The best way to ensure that a suggested feature will be implemented in future versions is to submit it through the proper channels, such as through a feature request form or directly to the development team. Additionally, providing detailed reasoning and potential benefits for the feature may increase the likelihood of it being considered for implementation.

2. Is there a timeline for when the suggested feature will be implemented?

Unfortunately, there is no way to accurately predict when a suggested feature will be implemented in future versions. The development team must carefully consider all suggestions and prioritize them based on various factors, such as feasibility and user demand.

3. Are there any limitations or restrictions for suggested features in future versions?

While we welcome all suggestions for future versions, there may be certain limitations or restrictions that prevent a suggested feature from being implemented. These could include technical feasibility, compatibility with existing features, or potential conflicts with other priorities.

4. Can multiple users suggest the same feature for future versions?

Yes, multiple users can suggest the same feature for future versions. In fact, if a feature receives multiple requests, it may increase its chances of being considered for implementation as it demonstrates a high demand from users.

5. How will the development team communicate updates or decisions regarding suggested features for future versions?

The development team will typically communicate any updates or decisions regarding suggested features through their official channels, such as through a blog post, social media, or email. It is important to regularly check these sources for updates on suggested features.