A theory that universe is infinite

In summary: The way you described it in your first post - as an infinite void - doesn't really make any sense. That makes it a little difficult to explain why it doesn't work. But I'll try:-What you suggest does not seem to account for the observation that galaxies are moving away from each other.-If you are suggesting that there is, for example, a ball of galaxies expanding into an empty void, that ball of galaxies should have an outer edge. No such edge is observed, nor is there any good reason to think such a thing exists.-The universe is expanding, which means that it is getting bigger. This means that the space within the universe is getting bigger, not smaller.
cam875
I know that the matter within our universe had to be created or something. But the universe itself, is it possible that it could be the one thing in the universe that is infinite. It doesn't have to expand it is just nothing, void or 0 however u want to put it, it has no dimensions. Does this make sense in any way?

Space news on Phys.org
I'm afraid it doesn't.

hmm nice answer, can u explain why?

I believe the OP is trying to ask if it is possible that the universe has (and has always had) infinite volume therefore making space infinite. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

Personally, as an ignoramous, I like this idea. But I think many cosmologists like to believe that space was created in the Big Bang and is ever increasing in volume. I think it helps them get around the sticky "superluminal recession" issue that would seem to contradict the assertion in special relativity that nothing can exceed the speed of light.

yes that is exactly what I am trying to say and I just want to see evidence of why this can't be true since vanadium 50 said it is false.

I just want an educated person in the science of cosmology to help me understand why the universe itself cannot be infinite without any dimensions or if that infact could be a possibility.

cam875 said:
I just want an educated person in the science of cosmology to help me understand why the universe itself cannot be infinite without any dimensions or if that infact could be a possibility.
The way you described it in your first post - as an infinite void - doesn't really make any sense. That makes it a little difficult to explain why it doesn't work. But I'll try:
-What you suggest does not seem to account for the observation that galaxies are moving away from each other.
-If you are suggesting that there is, for example, a ball of galaxies expanding into an empty void, that ball of galaxies should have an outer edge. No such edge is observed, nor is there any good reason to think such a thing exists.

Btw, I know this will sound harsh, but you need to hear it nonetheless: what you posed in your opening post does not qualify as a theory. It is nothing more than uninformed idle speculation.

Actually, I didn't say it was false. You asked if it made any sense, and I said it doesn't. (As evidenced by the fact that it took another couple of posts to figure out what you actually did mean.)

Of course, we know that the universe is not totally empty.

BoomBoom said:
I believe the OP is trying to ask if it is possible that the universe has (and has always had) infinite volume therefore making space infinite. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

If this really is what the OP is asking, then yes, it is possible that the universe is infinite in space.

yes i am trying to ask if it is possible that the universe is infinite in size, and i didnt mean to claim it as an actual theory i just worded it completely wrong, my bad and i do understand it was just speculation. Could u point me to a link about the galaxies moving apart because that sounds pretty interesting to read about.

1. Is there any evidence to support the theory of an infinite universe?

There is currently no definitive evidence that proves the universe is infinite. However, there are several theories and observations that suggest the possibility of an infinite universe, such as the observations of cosmic microwave background radiation and the observed flatness of the universe.

2. How can the universe be infinite if it had a beginning with the Big Bang?

While the Big Bang theory suggests that the universe had a beginning, it does not necessarily mean that the universe is finite. Some theories propose that the universe could have existed before the Big Bang or that it is constantly expanding and contracting, making it infinite.

3. If the universe is infinite, does that mean it has no boundaries?

Yes, if the universe is infinite, it would have no boundaries. This means that there would be no edge or end to the universe, and it would continue on infinitely in all directions.

4. What implications would an infinite universe have on our understanding of time and space?

An infinite universe would challenge our current understanding of time and space. It would mean that there is no center or fixed point in the universe, and distance and time could potentially be infinite. This could also open up new possibilities for concepts like time travel and parallel universes.

5. Can we ever truly know if the universe is infinite?

As of now, it is impossible to definitively prove or disprove the theory of an infinite universe. Our current technology and understanding of the universe are limited, and it is possible that future discoveries and advancements could provide more insight into the true nature of the universe.