Polling for estimates of probability our universe is infinite

In summary, the conversation discusses the subjective probability distribution among PF participants regarding the cosmological model of the universe being either infinite and flat or finite. The speaker shares their own personal probability estimates, influenced by a research paper and their belief in a hyper-spherical universe if it is finite. They also bring up the idea of a 50-50 probability for those who believe in the importance of the flatness problem. The speaker plans to calculate and post the mean and standard deviation values once they have enough contributions, but ultimately cancels the poll due to lack of votes.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
I have noticed that many PF participants seem to favor a cosmological model that our universe is infinite (and flat), but some (like myself) favor a finite universe. I have become curious about the subjective probability distribution, so I am hoping that many PF participants will post their subjective estimate of the probability P that it is infinite (or Q=1-P that it is finite).

Here are my own personal subjective probability estimates.

P = 0.2. This means the probability the universe is infinite is 20%, and the probability it is finite is 80%. The data that has mostly influenced my estimates is
I also believe that if the universe is finite, is is hyper-spherical rather than some other topological shape. Also, if it is infinite, it is flat and not hyperbolic.

I also understand that there are many who have reasons to believe the universe is flat, but with the understanding that the current cosmological data cannot possibly distinguish between flatness and a non-flat curvature that is so close to flat that it is not possible to have evidence that distinguishes between these two possibilities. I am wondering if they find this point of view to be interpreted to mean that the probability is close to: 50% that the universe is finite and hyper-spherical, and 50% that is infinite and flat or hyperbolic. I would guess that those who believe in the importance of the flatness problem are likely to have this 50-50 view.

At the present time I do not know how long I will want to keep the poll open. At some point when I feel I have enough contributions, i will calculate and post the mean and standard deviation values.

ADDED May 29
I have decided to cancel this poll since there were NO votes cast during the two weeks since I posted the poll.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Certain to be between 0 and 1, as in [0,1].

Likes Vanadium 50

1. What is "polling for estimates of probability our universe is infinite"?

"Polling for estimates of probability our universe is infinite" refers to the process of collecting data and opinions from a group of individuals in order to determine the likelihood that our universe is infinite.

2. Why is it important to estimate the probability of our universe being infinite?

Estimating the probability of our universe being infinite is important because it can help us better understand the nature of our universe and its potential boundaries. It can also inform scientific theories and research about the origins and future of our universe.

3. How is the probability of our universe being infinite calculated?

The probability of our universe being infinite is typically calculated using statistical methods, such as surveys and polls, that gather data and opinions from a sample of individuals. This data is then analyzed to determine the likelihood of our universe being infinite.

4. What factors are considered when estimating the probability of our universe being infinite?

Factors that may be considered when estimating the probability of our universe being infinite include scientific theories, observations of the universe, and the opinions of experts in the field. Other factors such as mathematical models and data from experiments may also be taken into account.

5. What are some potential implications if our universe is found to be infinite?

If our universe is found to be infinite, it could have significant implications for our understanding of space, time, and the laws of physics. It could also challenge our current understanding of the origins and fate of the universe. Additionally, it could open up new possibilities for space exploration and the search for extraterrestrial life.