Polling for estimates of probability our universe is infinite

  • Thread starter Buzz Bloom
  • Start date
  • #1
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
2,393
436
I have noticed that many PF participants seem to favor a cosmological model that our universe is infinite (and flat), but some (like myself) favor a finite universe. I have become curious about the subjective probability distribution, so I am hoping that many PF participants will post their subjective estimate of the probability P that it is infinite (or Q=1-P that it is finite).

Here are my own personal subjective probability estimates.

P = 0.2. This means the probability the universe is infinite is 20%, and the probability it is finite is 80%. The data that has mostly influenced my estimates is
I also believe that if the universe is finite, is is hyper-spherical rather than some other topological shape. Also, if it is infinite, it is flat and not hyperbolic.

I also understand that there are many who have reasons to believe the universe is flat, but with the understanding that the current cosmological data cannot possibly distinguish between flatness and a non-flat curvature that is so close to flat that it is not possible to have evidence that distinguishes between these two possibilities. I am wondering if they find this point of view to be interpreted to mean that the probability is close to: 50% that the universe is finite and hyper-spherical, and 50% that is infinite and flat or hyperbolic. I would guess that those who believe in the importance of the flatness problem are likely to have this 50-50 view.

At the present time I do not know how long I will want to keep the poll open. At some point when I feel I have enough contributions, i will calculate and post the mean and standard deviation values.

ADDED May 29
I have decided to cancel this poll since there were NO votes cast during the two weeks since I posted the poll.
 
Last edited:

Answers and Replies

  • #2
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
19,610
2,980
Certain to be between 0 and 1, as in [0,1].
 
  • Like
Likes Vanadium 50

Related Threads on Polling for estimates of probability our universe is infinite

  • Last Post
Replies
12
Views
6K
Replies
19
Views
6K
Replies
22
Views
4K
Replies
17
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
998
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
1K
  • Last Post
5
Replies
115
Views
20K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
47
Views
5K
Top