1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A thermodynamics polymer chain problem

1. Apr 18, 2016 #1
    A one-dimensional polymer molecule (rubber) is chain of N links of the same length a, the links can go either forward or backward but always stay parallel to the x axis. If one denotes the coordinates of the joints are ${x_0, x_1, . . . , x_N}$ , then $|x_n − x_{n+1}| = a$. The energy of the polymer does not depend on the angles at the joints.

Two electric charges $-q$ and $q$ are attached to the two ends of the molecule. An electric field $\mathcal{E}$ is turned on. The total energy of the molecule is the electrostatic energy,
    $$E=−q\mathcal{E} (x_N −x_0)$$
    Find the dependence of the temperature on the distance $L$ between the two ends of the molecule. Imagine the system interacts with a thermal bath, show that the rubber molecule contracts when the temperature increases.

----------

So I tried this problem with first setting up energy states, with $E_n = -qE(x_N - x_0) = -qE(-N+2n)a$, and getting the partition function $$Z = \frac{e^{-\beta q \mathcal{E} N a} - e^{\beta q \mathcal{E} N a}}{1-e^{2\beta q \mathcal{E} a}}$$
    but I don't know how to proceed from here. In principle I should take $\langle L \rangle = \frac{1}{Z}\sum_{n=0}^N e^{-\beta E_n} |x_N - x_0|$, but the expression is extremely complicated and there is no way to answer the second question (that the polymer contracts when temperature increases).
    Could anyone help me?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2016 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Finding the mean length of a polymer chain in the absence of charges involves maximizing the entropy. I imagine that your problem involves some combination of energy and entropy (Gibbs?).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted