A thought experiment (excuse me if I have wrong information, i'm new)

In summary,According to quantum mechanics, particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously until they are observed. This phenomenon is called "probability". However, it can be controlled by choosing which state to observe.
tracefleeman
So, let's think of a world where all the decisions are made by probability, e.g. flipping a coin, and quantum physics was never discovered.

Now, let's say they use a device, a contained version of the double slit experiment, except that the particles are supposed to land in one of two different "rooms" that are exactly the same - that won't happen, of course. They always open the right room, so that if the particle is there it won't be in the other room, and so on. Now, as we know, the particle will be in a superposition of states, in both rooms at the same time, until observed. But since the only open the right room, and therefore only observe the particle in the right room, so in this way can we directly control probability?

Again, sorry if my information is wrong. I'm new.

Physics news on Phys.org
tracefleeman said:
But since the only open the right room, and therefore only observe the particle in the right room, so in this way can we directly control probability?
Half the time you open the door to the right room, there will be a particle in it. The other half the time, there will be no particle. Just as probability and (QM) predicts.

DaveC426913 said:
Half the time you open the door to the right room, there will be a particle in it. The other half the time, there will be no particle. Just as probability and (QM) predicts.

Can you explain why though?

tracefleeman said:
Can you explain why though?

It can't be explained. It's just the way QM works.

I get it if you randomly observe it, but is it possible to willfully choose which one is observed, and therefore control randomness? Or should I stop typing half asleep?

According to our current understanding of the universe, no. You cannot willfully control the probability of measuring a certain outcome

tracefleeman said:
I get it if you randomly observe it, but is it possible to willfully choose which one is observed, and therefore control randomness? Or should I stop typing half asleep?

No one "randomly observed it". You looked in the right room every time. You can't control what you observe or don't observe when you look.

I didn't mean if you randomly open either room, I was talking about opening it at a random time.
I some what understand now.

tracefleeman said:
Now, as we know, the particle will be in a superposition of states, in both rooms at the same time, until observed.

replace "until observed" with "until a select category of interaction happens"

it does not have to be any (human/live/life) observation.

tracefleeman said:
I didn't mean if you randomly open either room, I was talking about opening it at a random time.
I some what understand now.

the coin will not always land up in the room you happen/choose to open.

there is only a 50% chance that the coin will land up in the room you choose to open, no matter how random the action (of picking one of the rooms is)

we are not pre-determined to choose the "right/correct/coin" door...

so in a double-slit experiment, if you put a camera on one slit...the camera will not always record the passage of the photon through that slit, it will record it only 50% of the time (...it might be lower due to environment/em noise)

1. What is a thought experiment?

A thought experiment is a mental exercise or hypothetical scenario used to explore and test ideas or theories without actually performing the experiment in real life. It allows scientists to think outside of the limitations of physical reality and consider possibilities that may not be feasible or ethical to test in a traditional experiment.

2. How are thought experiments used in science?

Thought experiments are used in science to explore and test theories, to challenge established beliefs and assumptions, and to generate new ideas. They can also help scientists identify potential flaws or gaps in their current understanding of a topic and guide future research.

3. Are thought experiments considered valid scientific methods?

Yes, thought experiments are considered valid scientific methods. They have been used by prominent scientists throughout history, such as Albert Einstein, and have led to many significant discoveries and advancements in various fields of science.

4. Can thought experiments provide definitive answers?

No, thought experiments cannot provide definitive answers. They are meant to be thought-provoking and encourage critical thinking, but they cannot replace empirical evidence and experimentation. However, they can lead to new insights and hypotheses that can be tested through traditional scientific methods.

5. Is there a specific process or method for conducting a thought experiment?

There is no set process or method for conducting a thought experiment. It usually involves asking a hypothetical question, making logical deductions based on known information, and considering the potential outcomes. It is a creative and flexible process, and different scientists may approach it differently.