Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A thread for those who want to go back to school

1. Nov 17, 2015 #1
    I'd like to make a thread like ZapperZ's for people who want to go back to school after years of being out. That's where I started at 2 years ago, and I've had a lot of success in my own studies and mentoring others in the same boat at my local CC. I was accepted to the University of Pittsburgh recently and begin this spring. I've always felt something like this was missing from the academic guidance section since I found the forum back in 2013. People are always willing to give out advice, but very few have actually come from that background of being non-traditional here on PhysicsForums. I'd like to share what I've learned in these 2 years.

Here's the start of what I'd want this thread to be. Let me know if this is something the forum would like to keep on sticky in academic guidance. This is a work in progress so I will probably word some things differently as I grow the piece. Thanks for any input you'd like to give.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2015 #2
    You should post this in insights. It's quite good.

That said, I have two stickied threads in the Academic guidance forum. I want to transform these threads in a collection of academic insights advice. So it will basically be a thread with a dictionary of links to insights articles on academic advice, and then a discussion thread of that. I think your nice work would be most appropriate to be added to that thread!

4. Nov 17, 2015 #3
    Would you suggest I apply to be a writer and submit the series in pieces on the insights page? The fact that I don't have a bachelor's won't be an issue?

5. Nov 17, 2015 #4
    If the advice is good then the advice is good. So yes, go and apply. People will review your work then.

6. Nov 17, 2015 #5
    I'm sending you a message and we can talk about it.

7. Nov 17, 2015 #6

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Great article! This will be a good reference for others who contemplating the same move.

I also recommend the mathispower4u.com website as a source of free videos where you can learn much of the math needed for studying physics in short 10 minute video format ala Khan's Academy style. The video presenter is a CC professor too.

With respect to the depression issue, there was an article recently about how it affects graduate students:

http://qz.com/547641/theres-an-awful-cost-to-getting-a-phd-that-no-one-talks-about/

8. Nov 18, 2015 #7

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree with much of what is in the paper except for the need for company. I have come to enjoy long periods of solitude and find company annoying outside of school (company which I enjoy). Fortunately I have good -enough funding at the moment to not need a roommate.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook