Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A thread for those who want to go back to school

1. Nov 17, 2015 #1
    I'd like to make a thread like ZapperZ's for people who want to go back to school after years of being out. That's where I started at 2 years ago, and I've had a lot of success in my own studies and mentoring others in the same boat at my local CC. I was accepted to the University of Pittsburgh recently and begin this spring. I've always felt something like this was missing from the academic guidance section since I found the forum back in 2013. People are always willing to give out advice, but very few have actually come from that background of being non-traditional here on PhysicsForums. I'd like to share what I've learned in these 2 years.

Here's the start of what I'd want this thread to be. Let me know if this is something the forum would like to keep on sticky in academic guidance. This is a work in progress so I will probably word some things differently as I grow the piece. Thanks for any input you'd like to give.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2015 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You should post this in insights. It's quite good.

That said, I have two stickied threads in the Academic guidance forum. I want to transform these threads in a collection of academic insights advice. So it will basically be a thread with a dictionary of links to insights articles on academic advice, and then a discussion thread of that. I think your nice work would be most appropriate to be added to that thread!

4. Nov 17, 2015 #3
    Would you suggest I apply to be a writer and submit the series in pieces on the insights page? The fact that I don't have a bachelor's won't be an issue?

5. Nov 17, 2015 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If the advice is good then the advice is good. So yes, go and apply. People will review your work then.

6. Nov 17, 2015 #5
    I'm sending you a message and we can talk about it.

7. Nov 17, 2015 #6

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Great article! This will be a good reference for others who contemplating the same move.

I also recommend the mathispower4u.com website as a source of free videos where you can learn much of the math needed for studying physics in short 10 minute video format ala Khan's Academy style. The video presenter is a CC professor too.

With respect to the depression issue, there was an article recently about how it affects graduate students:

http://qz.com/547641/theres-an-awful-cost-to-getting-a-phd-that-no-one-talks-about/

8. Nov 18, 2015 #7

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree with much of what is in the paper except for the need for company. I have come to enjoy long periods of solitude and find company annoying outside of school (company which I enjoy). Fortunately I have good -enough funding at the moment to not need a roommate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook