A Time Dependent Hamiltonian problem

In summary: The complex conjugate of a complex number is the number that is the complex conjugate of the original number. The complex conjugate of a number x is x^-1. In summary, the complex conjugate of a wavefunction is the time-dependent wavefunction that is the complex conjugate of the original wavefunction. The expectation value of the Hamiltonian is the same as the time-independent result.
Emspak

Homework Statement

We want to get the time evolution of a wavefunction and the expectation value of the Hamiltonian, and from there we can show that it's the same as the time-independent result. So to be clear: given a wavefunction, get the time evolution of that function and the expectation value of the Hamiltonian.

The (normalized) wavefunction is [itex]\psi = \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}(1\phi_1 + 2\phi_2)[/itex]

Homework Equations

The (time dependent) Hamiltonian: [itex]\hat H \psi = i \hbar \frac{\partial \psi(x,t)}{\partial t}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For any wavefunction the time dependent form would be [itex]\psi (x) e^{-i\omega t}[/itex]

That means that [itex]\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t} = -i \omega \phi (x) e^{-i\omega t}[/itex]

So for this particular wavefunction [itex] \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}} (-i \omega_1 \phi_1 (x) e^{-i \omega_1 t} -2i \omega_2 \phi_2 (x) e^{-i \omega_2 t})[/itex]

(since we are taking a derivative w/r/t time)

Given that if we want the expectation value of the Hamiltonian (from interval 0 to L) it would look like this:

[tex] \langle \hat H \rangle = \int^L_0 \psi^* \hat H \psi dx = \int^L_0 \psi^* \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}} \hbar ( \omega_1 \phi_1 (x) e^{-i \omega_1 t}+2 \omega_2 \phi_2 (x) e^{-i \omega_2 t}) dx[/tex]
[tex] = \int^L_0 \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}(\phi_1^*(x) + \phi_2^*(x)) \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}} \hbar ( \omega_1 \phi_1 (x) e^{-i \omega_1 t}+2 \omega_2 \phi_2 (x) e^{-i \omega_2 t}) dx[/tex]

and multiplying this out we end up with

[tex] \frac{1}{5} \hbar \int^L_0 (\omega_1 \phi_1^*\phi_1 e^{-i\omega_1 t} + 2 \omega_2\phi_1^* \phi_2 e^{-i\omega_2 t}+\omega_1\phi_1 \phi_2^* e^{-i \omega_1 t} + 2\omega_2 \phi_2^* \phi_2 e^{-i\omega_2 t})dx [/tex]

This is where I am curious if a certain thing is "allowed." As I understand it the terms [itex]2 \omega_2\phi_1^* \phi_2 e^{-i\omega_2 t}[/itex] and [itex]\omega_1\phi_1 \phi_2^* e^{-i \omega_1 t}[/itex] will go to zero, (at least when integrated). That should leave

[tex] \frac{1}{5} \hbar \int^L_0 (\omega_1 \phi_1^*\phi_1 e^{-i\omega_1 t} + 2\omega_2 \phi_2^* \phi_2 e^{-i\omega_2 t})dx [/tex]

and the term [itex]\phi_1^*\phi_1 [/itex] should be equal to [itex]|\phi_1|^2[/itex]. If that's the case, then I can use the sinusoidal version of the wavefunction, [itex]\sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}\sin\left(\frac{n\pi x}{L}\right)[/itex] with the n being 1 and 2, and just do the full on integration w/r/t x from there. That done I find that all the sin terms cancel out and with them the exponentials.

Of course I cold be wrong -- if I am spposed to integrate with respect to t though, it seems I get a similar result, though I would have a bunch of constants multiplied by exponentials with [itex]\frac{1}{i \omega}[/itex] terms.

Anyhow I want to know if I am approaching this correctly or if I have really, really lost the plot somewhere. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot the time-dependence of [itex]\psi^*[/itex] in your integral. Otherwise it looks good. The integrals are trivial given that [itex]\phi_1[/itex] and [itex]\phi_2[/itex] are normalized and orthogonal to each other.

Likes 1 person
vanhees71 said:
You forgot the time-dependence of [itex]\psi^*[/itex] in your integral. Otherwise it looks good. The integrals are trivial given that [itex]\phi_1[/itex] and [itex]\phi_2[/itex] are normalized and orthogonal to each other.

I wasn't sure if the complex conjugte would have that, but yes, you're right -- it should be there -- so that means that [itex]\psi^*[/itex] should be [itex]\psi^*= (\phi_1^*(e^{(-i \omega_1 t)} + \phi_2^*(e^{(-i \omega_2 t)}[/itex]), correct? And when I multiply that out I would end up with [itex](\phi_1^*\phi_1(e^{(-2i \omega_1 t)}) + 2\phi_2^*\phi_2(e^{(-2i \omega_2 t)})[/itex] and integrating that is, as you say, not much of a problem (Interestingly, whether i do it with respect to x or t seems to make no difference; in one case I get sine terms that go to zero. In the other I get exponentials that go to zero as t -> infinity and get smaller in any case. I didn't know what that tells me, but it's a funny thing).

1. What is a time dependent Hamiltonian problem?

A time dependent Hamiltonian problem is a type of mathematical problem in which the Hamiltonian, which is a function that describes the energy of a physical system, varies with time. This means that the equations used to describe the system must also take into account changes in time.

2. What are some common examples of time dependent Hamiltonian problems?

Some examples of time dependent Hamiltonian problems include the motion of a charged particle in a changing electric field, the behavior of a quantum system under the influence of a time-varying potential, and the dynamics of a rigid body undergoing rotational motion with variable angular velocity.

3. How is a time dependent Hamiltonian problem different from a time independent one?

In a time dependent Hamiltonian problem, the Hamiltonian function explicitly depends on time, while in a time independent one, the Hamiltonian is constant. This difference has significant implications for the mathematical methods used to solve the problem and the physical behavior of the system.

4. How are time dependent Hamiltonian problems relevant to real-world systems?

Time dependent Hamiltonian problems are relevant to many real-world systems, particularly in physics and engineering. They can help us understand the behavior of complex systems that are subject to changing external forces or conditions, such as the motion of celestial bodies under the influence of gravitational fields.

5. What are some techniques for solving time dependent Hamiltonian problems?

There are several techniques for solving time dependent Hamiltonian problems, including numerical methods, perturbation theory, and adiabatic approximation. The specific method used will depend on the complexity of the problem and the desired level of accuracy in the solution.