1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Time Dependent Hamiltonian problem

1. Apr 22, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We want to get the time evolution of a wavefunction and the expectation value of the Hamiltonian, and from there we can show that it's the same as the time-independent result. So to be clear: given a wavefunction, get the time evolution of that function and the expectation value of the Hamiltonian.

The (normalized) wavefunction is [itex]\psi = \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}(1\phi_1 + 2\phi_2)[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

The (time dependent) Hamiltonian: [itex]\hat H \psi = i \hbar \frac{\partial \psi(x,t)}{\partial t}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

For any wavefunction the time dependent form would be [itex]\psi (x) e^{-i\omega t}[/itex]

That means that [itex]\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t} = -i \omega \phi (x) e^{-i\omega t}[/itex]

So for this particular wavefunction [itex] \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}} (-i \omega_1 \phi_1 (x) e^{-i \omega_1 t} -2i \omega_2 \phi_2 (x) e^{-i \omega_2 t})[/itex]

(since we are taking a derivative w/r/t time)

Given that if we want the expectation value of the Hamiltonian (from interval 0 to L) it would look like this:

[tex] \langle \hat H \rangle = \int^L_0 \psi^* \hat H \psi dx = \int^L_0 \psi^* \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}} \hbar ( \omega_1 \phi_1 (x) e^{-i \omega_1 t}+2 \omega_2 \phi_2 (x) e^{-i \omega_2 t}) dx[/tex]
    [tex] = \int^L_0 \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}(\phi_1^*(x) + \phi_2^*(x)) \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}} \hbar ( \omega_1 \phi_1 (x) e^{-i \omega_1 t}+2 \omega_2 \phi_2 (x) e^{-i \omega_2 t}) dx[/tex]

and multiplying this out we end up with

[tex] \frac{1}{5} \hbar \int^L_0 (\omega_1 \phi_1^*\phi_1 e^{-i\omega_1 t} + 2 \omega_2\phi_1^* \phi_2 e^{-i\omega_2 t}+\omega_1\phi_1 \phi_2^* e^{-i \omega_1 t} + 2\omega_2 \phi_2^* \phi_2 e^{-i\omega_2 t})dx [/tex]

This is where I am curious if a certain thing is "allowed." As I understand it the terms [itex]2 \omega_2\phi_1^* \phi_2 e^{-i\omega_2 t}[/itex] and [itex]\omega_1\phi_1 \phi_2^* e^{-i \omega_1 t}[/itex] will go to zero, (at least when integrated). That should leave

[tex] \frac{1}{5} \hbar \int^L_0 (\omega_1 \phi_1^*\phi_1 e^{-i\omega_1 t} + 2\omega_2 \phi_2^* \phi_2 e^{-i\omega_2 t})dx [/tex]

and the term [itex]\phi_1^*\phi_1 [/itex] should be equal to [itex]|\phi_1|^2[/itex]. If that's the case, then I can use the sinusoidal version of the wavefunction, [itex]\sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}\sin\left(\frac{n\pi x}{L}\right)[/itex] with the n being 1 and 2, and just do the full on integration w/r/t x from there. That done I find that all the sin terms cancel out and with them the exponentials.

Of course I cold be wrong -- if I am spposed to integrate with respect to t though, it seems I get a similar result, though I would have a bunch of constants multiplied by exponentials with [itex]\frac{1}{i \omega}[/itex] terms.

Anyhow I want to know if I am approaching this correctly or if I have really, really lost the plot somewhere. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2014 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

You forgot the time-dependence of [itex]\psi^*[/itex] in your integral. Otherwise it looks good. The integrals are trivial given that [itex]\phi_1[/itex] and [itex]\phi_2[/itex] are normalized and orthogonal to each other.

4. Apr 22, 2014 #3
    I wasn't sure if the complex conjugte would have that, but yes, you're right -- it should be there -- so that means that [itex]\psi^*[/itex] should be [itex]\psi^*= (\phi_1^*(e^{(-i \omega_1 t)} + \phi_2^*(e^{(-i \omega_2 t)}[/itex]), correct? And when I multiply that out I would end up with [itex](\phi_1^*\phi_1(e^{(-2i \omega_1 t)}) + 2\phi_2^*\phi_2(e^{(-2i \omega_2 t)})[/itex] and integrating that is, as you say, not much of a problem (Interestingly, whether i do it with respect to x or t seems to make no difference; in one case I get sine terms that go to zero. In the other I get exponentials that go to zero as t -> infinity and get smaller in any case. I didn't know what that tells me, but it's a funny thing).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted