1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spontaneous symmetry breaking scalar field masses

1. Dec 7, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the mass of the scalars and show that one remains zero in accordance with goldstones theorem.

2. Relevant equations
    $$L=\dfrac {1}{2} (\partial_\mu \phi_a)(\partial^\mu \phi_a)-\dfrac{1}{2} \mu^2 (\phi_a \phi_a) - \dfrac{1}{4} \lambda (\phi_a \phi_a)^2+ i\bar{\psi} \gamma^\mu \partial_\mu \psi -g\bar{\psi} (\phi_1 +i\gamma^5 \phi_2)\psi$$
    I have chosen a vacuum solution that breaks the symmetry
    $$\phi_1 = \sqrt{\dfrac{-\mu^2}{\lambda}}, \phi_2 =0$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I know that I need to expand the fields around the minimum and then write the new lagrangian, then I should be able to read the mass from the hyperbolic terms, but I'm not sure how to carry out the expansion. Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How would you usually make an expansion of any function ##f(\vec x)## about some point ##\vec x_0##?

4. Dec 7, 2017 #3
    I'd use a Mclaurin series ordinarily, I think the fact that there are two field is the part that is confusing me, but since I'm picking my vacuum solution such that Phi_2 is zero can I simply expand Phi_1 and discard all terms with Phi_2? also I'm not too sure if I need to rewrite the whole lagrangian once i've done the expansion or if just the potential would suffice. Thanks for your response :)

5. Dec 7, 2017 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just look at it as a function of two variables (that in turn happens to be functions of the space time coordinates, but that is besides the point) that you want to expand around a point which has one of the variables equal to zero. It is just a multidimensional Taylor series. In fact, you do not even need to take any derivatives, just express ##\phi## as a sum of the point you want to expand about and the deviation from that point.

6. Dec 7, 2017 #5
    Ok so if I understand you correctly I can expand \phi as follows:

$$\phi_1=v+h$$
    where v is my vacuum solution and h is my deviation.
    then I can expand my second field but v is zero so I just get a deviation f.

$$\phi_2=f$$

Now I can substitute this into my potential and read the mass' from the terms that are squared in h and f?

7. Dec 7, 2017 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Correct. It does not need to be more difficult than that.

8. Dec 7, 2017 #7
    Ah awesome, thanks! much clearer now :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted