Spontaneous symmetry breaking scalar field masses

In summary, the author is trying to solve a homework equation with the help of a vacuum solution and an expansion. He is not sure how to carry out the expansion and is seeking advice.
Milsomonk

Homework Statement

Determine the mass of the scalars and show that one remains zero in accordance with goldstones theorem.

Homework Equations

$$L=\dfrac {1}{2} (\partial_\mu \phi_a)(\partial^\mu \phi_a)-\dfrac{1}{2} \mu^2 (\phi_a \phi_a) - \dfrac{1}{4} \lambda (\phi_a \phi_a)^2+ i\bar{\psi} \gamma^\mu \partial_\mu \psi -g\bar{\psi} (\phi_1 +i\gamma^5 \phi_2)\psi$$
I have chosen a vacuum solution that breaks the symmetry
$$\phi_1 = \sqrt{\dfrac{-\mu^2}{\lambda}}, \phi_2 =0$$

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that I need to expand the fields around the minimum and then write the new lagrangian, then I should be able to read the mass from the hyperbolic terms, but I'm not sure how to carry out the expansion. Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How would you usually make an expansion of any function ##f(\vec x)## about some point ##\vec x_0##?

I'd use a Mclaurin series ordinarily, I think the fact that there are two field is the part that is confusing me, but since I'm picking my vacuum solution such that Phi_2 is zero can I simply expand Phi_1 and discard all terms with Phi_2? also I'm not too sure if I need to rewrite the whole lagrangian once I've done the expansion or if just the potential would suffice. Thanks for your response :)

Just look at it as a function of two variables (that in turn happens to be functions of the space time coordinates, but that is besides the point) that you want to expand around a point which has one of the variables equal to zero. It is just a multidimensional Taylor series. In fact, you do not even need to take any derivatives, just express ##\phi## as a sum of the point you want to expand about and the deviation from that point.

Ok so if I understand you correctly I can expand \phi as follows:

$$\phi_1=v+h$$
where v is my vacuum solution and h is my deviation.
then I can expand my second field but v is zero so I just get a deviation f.

$$\phi_2=f$$

Now I can substitute this into my potential and read the mass' from the terms that are squared in h and f?

Correct. It does not need to be more difficult than that.

Ah awesome, thanks! much clearer now :)

1. What is spontaneous symmetry breaking?

Spontaneous symmetry breaking is a phenomenon in physics where the symmetry of a system is broken at a lower energy state, even though the laws of the system are symmetric. This can happen when the energy of the system is minimized, causing a spontaneous change in the system's behavior.

2. What is a scalar field?

A scalar field is a mathematical concept that describes a quantity that has a single value at each point in space. In physics, scalar fields are often used to describe properties such as temperature or density.

3. How does spontaneous symmetry breaking relate to scalar fields?

In spontaneous symmetry breaking, a scalar field is used to represent the symmetry of the system. As the energy of the system decreases, the scalar field takes on a non-zero value, breaking the symmetry of the system and causing the behavior to change.

4. What are massless scalar fields?

Massless scalar fields are scalar fields that have zero mass. This means that they do not interact with the Higgs field and are not subject to spontaneous symmetry breaking. Examples of massless scalar fields include the electromagnetic field and the gravitational field.

5. How do scalar field masses contribute to the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Standard Model of particle physics is a theory that describes the fundamental particles and forces in the universe. Scalar field masses are included in this model to explain the origin of particle masses and the mechanism of spontaneous symmetry breaking. This theory has been experimentally verified to a high degree of accuracy.