1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A tiny topological claim in a larger proof of mine

1. Apr 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm writing a proof for my Real Analysis III class, and in one clause I claim that the intersection of my countably infinite set of intervals {En} where En=(1+1/2+1/3+1/4+....+1/n , ∞), has the property that the infinite intersection of all En's equals ∅ (This would be a lot easier to explain if I finally took the time to learn Latek).

2. Relevant equations

Not many.

3. The attempt at a solution

Obviously, since ∑1/k ---> ∞, my intersection of my set of intervals gets infinitely smaller in length, ultimately approaching (∞, ∞)=∅. I'd like someone to explain this in formal topological language since I'm not taking another topology class this summer.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2012 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Two sets are equal if and only if they have the same members, so you need to prove that this intersection has no members. Let x be an arbitrary real number. Can you prove that x is not a member of this intersection?

The LaTeX guide for the forum can get you started with LaTeX very quickly.

4. Apr 6, 2012 #3
    Obviously. Since Ʃ(1/k)=1+1/2+1/3+...+1/n ---> ∞, for any x in (1+1/2+1/3+...+1/n, ∞) there is an N≥n large enough that 1+1/2+1/3+...+1/N ≥ x, and consequently (1+1/2+1/3+...+1/n, ∞) & (1+1/2+1/3+...+1/N, ∞) = (1+1/2+1/3+...+1/N, ∞) does not contain contain x.

5. Apr 6, 2012 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right, there's an n such that ##x\notin\big(\sum_{k=1}^n\frac 1 k,\infty\big)##. (Not sure why you started with an x in that interval though. That makes the proof a bit weird. Just let x be an arbitrary real number). Do you also understand why this implies that ##x\notin\bigcap_{m=1}^\infty\big(\sum_{k=1}^m \frac 1 k,\infty\big)##, and why that implies that ##\bigcap_{m=1}^\infty\big(\sum_{k=1}^m \frac 1 k,\infty\big)=\emptyset##?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook