A tiny topological claim in a larger proof of mine

In summary, the student is seeking help with a proof for their Real Analysis III class. They claim that the intersection of a countably infinite set of intervals has the property of being empty. The student is looking for an explanation in formal topological language. The conversation discusses using LaTeX to simplify the proof, and the student is asked to prove that a certain real number is not a member of the intersection. The conversation ends with a clarification of the proof and an understanding of why the intersection is empty.
Jamin2112

Homework Statement

I'm writing a proof for my Real Analysis III class, and in one clause I claim that the intersection of my countably infinite set of intervals {En} where En=(1+1/2+1/3+1/4+...+1/n , ∞), has the property that the infinite intersection of all En's equals ∅ (This would be a lot easier to explain if I finally took the time to learn Latek).

Homework Equations

Not many.

The Attempt at a Solution

Obviously, since ∑1/k ---> ∞, my intersection of my set of intervals gets infinitely smaller in length, ultimately approaching (∞, ∞)=∅. I'd like someone to explain this in formal topological language since I'm not taking another topology class this summer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Two sets are equal if and only if they have the same members, so you need to prove that this intersection has no members. Let x be an arbitrary real number. Can you prove that x is not a member of this intersection?

The LaTeX guide for the forum can get you started with LaTeX very quickly.

Fredrik said:
Let x be an arbitrary real number. Can you prove that x is not a member of this intersection?

Obviously. Since Ʃ(1/k)=1+1/2+1/3+...+1/n ---> ∞, for any x in (1+1/2+1/3+...+1/n, ∞) there is an N≥n large enough that 1+1/2+1/3+...+1/N ≥ x, and consequently (1+1/2+1/3+...+1/n, ∞) & (1+1/2+1/3+...+1/N, ∞) = (1+1/2+1/3+...+1/N, ∞) does not contain contain x.

Right, there's an n such that ##x\notin\big(\sum_{k=1}^n\frac 1 k,\infty\big)##. (Not sure why you started with an x in that interval though. That makes the proof a bit weird. Just let x be an arbitrary real number). Do you also understand why this implies that ##x\notin\bigcap_{m=1}^\infty\big(\sum_{k=1}^m \frac 1 k,\infty\big)##, and why that implies that ##\bigcap_{m=1}^\infty\big(\sum_{k=1}^m \frac 1 k,\infty\big)=\emptyset##?

Last edited:

1. What is a topological claim?

A topological claim is a statement or proposition about the properties of a specific topological space or object. It can involve concepts such as continuity, connectedness, and compactness.

2. How does a topological claim fit into a larger proof?

In mathematics, proofs often involve breaking down a larger problem into smaller, more manageable parts. A topological claim may be one of these smaller parts that contributes to the overall proof.

3. Can you provide an example of a topological claim in a larger proof?

One example could be proving that a certain topological space is Hausdorff, which means that any two distinct points in the space have disjoint neighborhoods. This claim may be used in a larger proof to show that the space is also compact.

4. Is a topological claim always necessary in a proof?

No, a topological claim is not always necessary in a proof. It depends on the specific problem and approach taken by the mathematician. In some cases, a different type of claim or property may be more relevant to the proof.

5. How do you ensure the validity of a topological claim in your proof?

To ensure the validity of a topological claim, a mathematician must use rigorous logic and follow accepted principles and definitions within topology. It is also important to carefully check all assumptions and steps in the proof to avoid any errors or gaps in reasoning.