1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A trick to proof RH using asymptotic Analysis

1. Jun 5, 2006 #1
    We have using Perron,s formula an integral for M(x) Mertens function:

[tex] \int_{c-i\infty}^{c+i\infty}ds\frac{x^{s}}{\zeta(s) s}= 2i\pi M(x) [/tex]

Of course we can,t calculate this integral directly, let,s put x=exp(t) and s=c+iu then our integral becomes:

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}du \frac{e^{iut+ict}}{\zeta(c+iu)(c+iu)} [/tex]

now we could writte the complex integrand involving \zeta(c+iu)(c+iu) as a sum of a real and complex part U(c,u)+iV(c,u), so we should make an approach for big t--->oo of the integral:

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}duU(c,u)e^{iut+ict} [/tex]

so we can calculate M(e^{t}) of course RH is true iff for big t the factor:

[tex] M(e^{t})e^{-t(1/2+e)} [/tex] 0<e<<<<<<1 (epsilon)

tends to 0, so we could give a "proof" of Riemann Hypothesis.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2006 #2
    Or simply solve Perron,s integral for [tex] 1/\zeta(s) [/tex] so

[tex] M(e^{t})= -\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}e^{-nt}/d\zeta(-2n)(2n)+1/d\zeta(0)+\frac{1}{2i\pi}\oint_{D}dse^{st}/\zeta(s)s [/tex]

for this last complex integral we could use the contour D given by the rectangle {0-iT,0+iT,1-iT,1+iT} with T---->oo and use "steepest descend " method to calculate the asymptotic evaluation for the integral.

where df means df/dt or df/dx

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?