Deduce the formula of D'Alembert with Fourier transform

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the inverse Fourier transform to obtain the equation for u(x,t). The speaker substitutes the given equation and solves the integral, using the identity cos(c\xi t)=\frac{e^{ict\xi }+e^{-ict\xi }}{2}. They then solve for u(x,t), which is equal to \frac{1}{2}\left [ f(x-ct)+f(x+ct) \right ]. The conversation then moves on to solving the integral for \frac{1}{2c}\int_{x-ct}^{x+ct}\psi (y)dy, with the speaker suggesting the use of \sin(c\xi t)=\frac{e^{
EnriqueOrtizMartinez
Homework Statement
From the equation:

$$\tilde{u}(\xi ,t)=\tilde{f}(\xi)cos(ct\xi)+\tilde{g}(\xi)(c\xi)^{-1}sen(ct\xi)$$

Use the inverse Fourier transform to obtain the D'Alembert equation:

$$u(x,t)=\frac{1}{2}[f(x-ct)+f(x+ct)]+\frac{1}{2c}\int_{x-ct}^{x+ct}\psi (y)dy$$
Relevant Equations
$$u(x,t)=\frac{1}{2\pi }\int_{-\infty }^{\infty }\tilde{u}(\xi ,t)e^{-i\xi x}d\xi$$
Well what I did was first use the inverse Fourier transform:

$$u(x,t)=\frac{1}{2\pi }\int_{-\infty }^{\infty }\tilde{u}(\xi ,t)e^{-i\xi x}d\xi$$

I substitute the equation that was given to me by obtaining:$$u(x,t)=\frac{1}{2\pi }\left \{ \int_{-\infty }^{\infty}\tilde{f}(\xi)cos(c\xi t)+\frac{\tilde{g}(\xi )}{c\xi}sen(c\xi t) \right \}e^{-i \xi x}d\xi$$$$u(x,t)=\frac{1}{2\pi }\int_{-\infty }^{\infty}\tilde{f}(\xi)cos(c\xi t)e^{-i \xi x}d\xi+\frac{1}{2\pi }\int_{-\infty }^{\infty}\frac{\tilde{g}(\xi )}{c\xi}sen(c\xi t)e^{-i \xi x}d\xi$$I solve the integral:$$u(x,t)=\frac{1}{2\pi }\int_{-\infty }^{\infty}\tilde{f}(\xi)cos(c\xi t)e^{-i \xi x}d\xi$$He used the identity:$$cos(c\xi t)=\frac{e^{ict\xi }+e^{-ict\xi }}{2}$$$$u(x,t)=\frac{1}{2\pi }\int_{-\infty }^{\infty}\frac{\tilde{f(\xi)}}{2}\left [ e^{ict\xi }+e^{-ict\xi } \right ]e^{-i \xi x}d\xi$$$$u(x,t)=\frac{1}{2 }\left \{ \frac{1}{2\pi }\int_{-\infty }^{\infty}\tilde{f}(\xi)e^{-i\xi (x- ct)}d\xi+\frac{1}{2\pi }\int_{-\infty }^{\infty}\tilde{f}(\xi)e^{-i\xi (x+ct)}d\xi \right \}$$
$$\therefore u(x,t)=\frac{1}{2}\left [ f(x-ct)+f(x+ct) \right ]$$Now I solve:
$$u(x,t)=\frac{1}{2\pi }\int_{-\infty }^{\infty}\frac{\tilde{g}(\xi )}{c\xi}sen(c\xi t)e^{-i \xi x}d\xi$$But I do not know how to do it, could you help me as I do to solve this integral to find the factor:$$\frac{1}{2c}\int_{x-ct}^{x+ct}\psi (y)dy$$I have been investigating and as the convolution is used, but it does not work out, they could help me, in advance thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use [tex]\sin(c\xi t) = \frac{e^{ic\xi t} - e^{-ic\xi t}}{2i}.[/tex]

Also, try integrating [tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \left(\int_0^x g(s)\,ds\right)e^{i\xi x}\,dx[/tex] by parts and see what you get.

1. What is the D'Alembert formula?

The D'Alembert formula is a mathematical formula used to solve the wave equation, which describes the propagation of waves in a medium. It was developed by French mathematician Jean le Rond d'Alembert in the 18th century.

2. How does the D'Alembert formula relate to the Fourier transform?

The D'Alembert formula can be derived using the Fourier transform, which is a mathematical tool used to decompose a function into its frequency components. The Fourier transform is used to solve the wave equation by transforming it into an algebraic equation, which can then be solved using the D'Alembert formula.

3. What is the significance of the D'Alembert formula in physics?

The D'Alembert formula is an important tool in physics, particularly in the study of waves and vibrations. It is used to solve problems related to sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and other types of waves in various physical systems. It also has applications in other areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and fluid dynamics.

4. Can the D'Alembert formula be applied to any type of wave?

Yes, the D'Alembert formula can be applied to any type of wave that can be described by the wave equation. This includes mechanical waves, such as sound waves and water waves, as well as electromagnetic waves, such as light and radio waves.

5. Are there any limitations to using the D'Alembert formula?

While the D'Alembert formula is a powerful tool for solving wave equations, it does have some limitations. It is only applicable to linear systems, meaning that the wave equation must be a linear partial differential equation. It also assumes that the medium in which the wave is propagating is homogeneous and isotropic, meaning that it has the same properties in all directions.