A two-side 'A' shaped ladder and then tension in the wire that holds it together

  • Thread starter Thread starter IAmPat
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Tension Wire
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
IAmPat
Messages
28
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A ladder is made in the shape of the letter A. Treat the two sides of the ladder as identical uniform rods, each weighing 455 N, with a length of 3.60 m. A frictionless hinge connects the two ends at the top, and a horizontal wire, 1.20 m long, connects them at a distance 1.40 m from the hinge, as measured along the sides. The ladder rests on a frictionless floor. What is the tension in the wire?

Homework Equations



[tex]\sum[/tex]Fx = 0
[tex]\sum[/tex]Fy = 0


The Attempt at a Solution



I honestly don't know where exactly to start on this solution.

I know that the system is in equilibrium, so all the forces should sum to 0. Couldn't I just pretend it was just one ladder leaning against a wall, and then double the tension to get the tension of wire in this double ladder?

Where else can I start on this problem?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hello,

the first thing, if you haven't done it already, would be to draw a figure. once you have that, just consider the forces, and torques, on one of the beams.

hope this helps
 
eczeno said:
hello,

the first thing, if you haven't done it already, would be to draw a figure. once you have that, just consider the forces, and torques, on one of the beams.

hope this helps

So should I consider just one ladder and double the tension in order to get the tension in the 'A' ladder
 
consider one ladder, but don't double the tension, it will pull in equal but opposite directions on each ladder.

cheers