A uniform spring whose unstretched length .

In summary, the spring constant in each direction is the same as the original spring's constant, but the lengths are not the same.
Estrex
A uniform spring whose unstretched length...

A uniform spring whose unstretched length is L has a spring constant k. the spring is cut into two pieces of unstretched lengths L1 and L2, with L1 = nL2. What are the corresponding spring constants k1 and k2 in terms of n and k?

The answer is k1 = (n+1)k/n and k2 = (n+1)k. I have no idea how they got that. I tried setting up the force equation F = kL and solving for k, k = F/L, but the substitution never worked out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Estrex! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Instead of cutting the spring, just mark it where the cut should be, and remember that the reaction force across the mark will be the same in each direction, and will be the same as the force at the ends. (why? :wink:)

Estrex said:
I tried setting up the force equation F = kL and solving for k, k = F/L, but the substitution never worked out.
Stop right there. The restoring force generated in a string is given by F = kΔx, where Δx is the length by which the string is compressed or elongated. F does not depend on L at all.
Well now consider the original spring to be split up into two strings of spring constants k1 and k2, which are connected in series and consider what tiny-tim said. That's pretty much all you need to do here!

Ok, I figured it out. I just forgot the formula for springs in series, 1/k = 1/k1 + 1/k2.
Since L1 = nL2, k2 = nk1. 1/k = 1/k1 + 1/nk1. 1/k = n+1/nk1. k = nk1/n+1. k1 = k(n+1)/n. Solving for k2, 1/k = n/k2 + 1/k2. 1/k = n+1/k2. k = k2/n+1. k2 = k(n+1).

good job... if u forget something, u can always derive it... works for me most of the time...

1. How does a uniform spring work?

A uniform spring is a type of mechanical device that can store and release energy. It consists of a coiled or helical spring that stretches when a force is applied and returns to its original length when the force is removed. This stretching and releasing motion is made possible by the elasticity of the material the spring is made of.

2. What is the unstretched length of a uniform spring?

The unstretched length of a uniform spring is the length of the spring when there is no external force acting upon it. This is also known as the "resting" or "equilibrium" length of the spring.

3. How is the strength of a uniform spring measured?

The strength of a uniform spring is typically measured using a unit called the spring constant, denoted by the symbol 'k'. The spring constant represents the force required to stretch the spring by a unit length. A higher spring constant indicates a stronger spring.

4. Can a uniform spring's unstretched length be changed?

Yes, the unstretched length of a uniform spring can be changed by altering the number of coils or by manipulating the material of the spring. However, once a spring has been stretched or compressed, its unstretched length may be permanently altered.

5. What are some common uses for a uniform spring?

Uniform springs have a wide range of applications in various industries. Some common uses include shock absorbers, door hinges, trampolines, and mechanical toys. They are also used in scientific experiments to demonstrate the principles of elasticity and potential energy.