1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A very tricky problem that im just not getting

1. Feb 13, 2006 #1
    hey all

i have this very annoying physics problem that ive been looking at for hours.

In the physics laboratory, a glider is released from rest on a frictionless air track inclined at an angle. If the glider has gained a speed of 22.0 cm/s in traveling 40.0 cm from the starting point, what was the angle of inclination of the track? Assume that the initial velocity is zero.

I understand that you have the initial velocity and the final velocity, and you can find the acceleration with a "constant acceleration" equation, specifically DeltaX= 1/2acceleration*time squared, but how on earth do you find the angle of inclination given only the value for x, and not for y or the hypotenuse?

Someone please help!!!!!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2006 #2
    oh....my work

So through using said acceleration equation
    (v squared = v initial squared plus 2(acceleration)(displacement)

so i got that the acceleration is 6.05 cm/s

then from that i got that the time is equal to 22= 6.05t

So t is 3.64 seconds.

So i'm guessing theres a way to relate the sin of the angle to the acceleration or the time?
  4. Feb 13, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If the angle of inclination were 90 degrees, the glider would be falling straight down, accelerating at g=9.8 m/s^2. If the angle of inclination were 0 degrees, the glider would be sitting still, with an acceleration of 0.

The acceleration is therefore equal to g times the sine of the angle of inclination.

- Warren
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?