1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Glider moving along an inclined track?

1. May 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a classroom demonstration, a glider moves along an inclined track with constant acceleration. It is projected from the low end of the track with an initial velocity. After 8.2 s have elapsed, it is 103.3 cm from the low end and is moving along the track at a velocity of -15.1 cm/s. Find the initial velocity (cm/s) and the acceleration (cm/s^2).

2. Relevant equations
    xf = xi + 0.5 (vi + vf) t
    xf = xi + vi t + 0.5 a t^2
    a = (vf - vi)/t

I honestly might be using equations that are totally wrong. I have no idea.

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I tried xf = xi + 0.5 (vi + vf) t and I came up with 10.1 cm/s for vi but that's wrong. Then I tried xf = xi + vi t + 0.5 a t^2 and I plugged a = (vf - vi)/t Into the equation for a but I couldn't solve it through for vi. I'm definitely missing something or doing something wrong :(

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Using [itex]v= v_0+ at[/itex] and [itex]x= v_0x+ (a/2)t[/itex]. With t= 8.2, x= 103.3 and v= 151, those become [itex]151= v_0+ 8.2t[/itex] and [itex](8.2^2/2)a+ 8.2v_0[/itex]. Solve those two equations for a and [itex]v_0[/itex].

4. May 3, 2015 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

5. May 3, 2015 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Show your working for that.

I believe you made a sign error.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted