A wonderful lens-a glass of water(highschool physics)

In summary, the conversation is about a high school student seeking help with understanding a physics concept involving spherical and cylindrical convex lenses. They have searched online and asked for assistance, specifically with drawing ray diagrams and understanding Snell's Law. They are also seeking clarification on the refractive index of glass and water and the special name for the point where two parallel rays intersect.
jadelamlam
a wonderful lens--a glass of water(high school physics)

Homework Statement

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt234/chandaiman199111/untitled.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well,I have already thought for 5 hours,but I couldn't get what it means.
My senior form or even a-level textbook haven't mentioned any information about spherical convex lens and cylindrical convex lens,so I have tried to draw ray diagram by myself to understand it.Unfortunately,I have attempted for many times but I couldn't draw anything accurately.

I have searched in wiki and other websites.However,I couldn't find the thing I need.

Can anyone help me to draw ray diagrams,or provided some websites for me?

Please forgive for my foolishness :(

Really thanks very much :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Draw a picture of the cross-section of a glass of water - it will be two concentric circles.
Between the outer two circles is the glass - what is the refractive index of glass (in general)? Inside the middle circle is all water - what is the refractive index of water? More or less than glass?

Do you know how to use Snell's law to draw a ray as it refracts through an object?

Draw two parallel rays approaching the glass and use your understanding of Snell's Law to sketch what happens to the rays as they pass through.

The place where the two rays cross has a special name - what is it?

From there you can draw a standard ray-diagram with three principle rays and everything.

1. What is the purpose of the glass of water in this experiment?

The glass of water is used to demonstrate the concept of refraction and how light travels through different mediums.

2. How does the angle of incidence affect the refraction of light through the glass of water?

The angle of incidence, or the angle at which the light enters the water, affects the amount of refraction that occurs. As the angle of incidence increases, the angle of refraction also increases.

3. Why does the straw appear bent when placed in the glass of water?

This is due to the refraction of light as it passes through the water and then the air. The light changes speed and direction when it travels from one medium to another, causing the straw to appear bent.

4. How does the thickness of the glass affect the refraction of light through the water?

The thicker the glass, the greater the refraction of light. This is because the light has to travel through more material, causing a larger change in speed and direction.

5. Can you explain the difference between refraction and reflection?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through a medium, while reflection is the bouncing of light off a surface. Refraction involves a change in the speed and direction of light, while reflection does not.