1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A2 chemistry - how do i know there's an OH in the products?

1. May 29, 2016 #1
    This is the question and the answer, the problem is i don't know how to get to the answer
    top is question and bottom is answer

PCbyMXO.png

I attempted to divide the gas concentration by 24 to get molar mass, but that didn't work
    and how am i suppose to know that OH- is one of the products? i guessed that there is fe(OH)3, but that's all i got right....

it's the very last question from this A level paper

please help, my exams are close, and i have no clue at all....

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2016 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I see no concentration in the question.

And why do you divide? You have mass of 1 mL, right? Assuming there is one mole of a gas at RTP, what volume does it occupy? What is its mass (given the density as listed)?

It is not that there is OH- between products, however, you won't be able to balance the reaction without either H+ of OH-. That's a quite common situation when it comes to redox reactions in water.

4. May 29, 2016 #3

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1.3333 × 22 = very close to 32 so that part works well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted