What is the product of the reaction between ammonia and benzoic acid?

In summary, the conversation is about a question in chemistry homework that involves writing a balanced equation between ammonia and benzoic acid. The person is not confident in their chemistry skills but wants to do well on their last chemistry exam in high school. They mention knowing that compounds with the formula RCONH2 are called amides of carboxylic acids but are unsure how to use that information in the problem. They seek help and are told that the problem is not as difficult as they are making it.
emmadun
Please post this type of questions in the homework section.
Summary: I came across a question in my chemistry homework where i am supposed to write the balanced equation between ammonia and benzoic acid. I am not really good with chemistry but it's my last exam of chemistry ever in my high school experience, so i need to (and want to) get a good grade.

So, reaction between ammonia and benzoic acid,
This is what i know so far:
C6H5COOH + NH3 ------------->___________________________________ ?

I also know that compounds with the formula RCONH2( where R is a radical) are called amides of carboxylic acids but i don't know how to use that in my problem.

Any help is appreciated! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
You have an acid and a base.

you mean the product would be C6H5CONH2 ?

No, that's not what I mean.

You are making the problem more difficult than it really is.

1. What is the product of the reaction between ammonia and benzoic acid?

The product of the reaction between ammonia and benzoic acid is ammonium benzoate. This is a salt that is formed when ammonia (a base) reacts with benzoic acid (an acid).

2. What is the chemical equation for the reaction between ammonia and benzoic acid?

The chemical equation for the reaction between ammonia and benzoic acid is:
NH3 + C6H5COOH → NH4C7H5COO + H2O

3. What are the physical properties of ammonium benzoate?

Ammonium benzoate is a white crystalline solid with a faint ammonia odor. It is soluble in water and has a melting point of 152-155°C.

4. What are the uses of ammonium benzoate?

Ammonium benzoate is commonly used as a food preservative, as it inhibits the growth of bacteria and fungi. It is also used in the production of dyes, perfumes, and pharmaceuticals.

5. Is the reaction between ammonia and benzoic acid exothermic or endothermic?

The reaction between ammonia and benzoic acid is exothermic, meaning that it releases heat. This can be observed by the increase in temperature during the reaction.