##A_\mu^a=0## in global gauge symmetries ?

In summary, the conversation discusses global and local SU(n) gauge theories, specifically focusing on the gauge field and its components. The question is raised about the relationship between the gauge field and the partial derivatives of the parameters used to define the infinitesimal transformation. It is argued that for global transformations, the gauge covariant derivative can be satisfied without requiring the gauge field components to be zero. The question remains about whether the relation between the gauge field components and the partial derivatives is necessary or if it is related to a gauge fixing process.
JuanC97
Hi, this question is related to global and local SU(n) gauge theories.
First of all, some notation: ##A## will be the gauge field of the theory (i.e: the 'vector potential' in the case of electromagnetic interactions) also known as 'connection form'.

In components: ##A_\mu## can be expanded in terms of the basis given by the generators $F_a$ of a SU(n) group using some coefficients (or components) ##A_\mu^a## so one can write ##A_\mu=A_\mu^aF_a##.

As you can see in the image I uploaded (from the book "An elementary primer for Gauge theory") one can identify ##A_\mu^a## wih the partial derivatives of the parameters ## \theta^a ## (in the last line you have ##A_\mu=\partial_\mu\theta^a\,F_a##) which parametrize the infinitesimal amount of transformation that is made by the operator ## U(dx) ## on an arbitrary vector u.

The question is: If the transformation is global, i.e: ## \theta^a\neq f(x) ##, then... ## A_\mu^a=0 ## implies that is impossible to deffine a connection?.

Attachments

• primer.png
    primer.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 595
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I should rephrase the statement. Before thinking a little bit about it I concluded that ## A_\mu^a=0 ## doesn't imply that is impossible to define a connection, it implies that it's not necessary since the partial derivative of a scalar field would be already a gauge covariant derivative.

Anyway, you could still add a connection and demand it to transform as ## A_\mu' = U A_\mu U^{-1} - \frac{1}{q}(\partial_\mu U) U^{-1} ## where ## q ## is the gauge coupling parameter, and... in the case of global transformations, the part of ## A_\mu' = U A_\mu U^{-1} ## would be enough to ensure that the gauge covariant derivative ## D_\mu\Psi = (\partial_\mu-iqA_\mu)\Psi ## would be covariant in the sense of ## (D_\mu\Psi)' ## being just ##U(D_\mu\Psi)##.

But... my point is that, given a global transformation, one could have ## A_\mu^a\neq 0 ## and, still, the gauge covariant derivative would satisfy the desired property of gauge covariance but, in other scenario, one could have ## A_\mu^a=0 ## and the gauge covariant derivative would be just the usual partial derivative which seems equally valid to me. The question that I have now is if the relation ## A_\mu^a=\partial_\mu\theta^a ## is mandatory or if... somehow... it is realted to some kind of gauge fixing which could be done in a totally arbitrary way that doesn't imply having ## A_\mu^a=0 ##.

What is the significance of the equation ##A_\mu^a=0## in global gauge symmetries?

The equation ##A_\mu^a=0##, also known as the gauge condition, is used to eliminate redundant degrees of freedom in the mathematical description of gauge theories. It ensures that a unique physical state can be described by the gauge theory.

How does the equation ##A_\mu^a=0## affect the behavior of gauge bosons?

The equation ##A_\mu^a=0## is a gauge fixing condition, which means it restricts the gauge bosons to only certain possible states. This allows for the study and calculation of physical phenomena without having to consider all possible states.

Can the equation ##A_\mu^a=0## be derived from first principles in gauge theories?

No, the gauge condition ##A_\mu^a=0## is not derived from first principles, but rather imposed as a mathematical tool. It is chosen to simplify calculations and ensure consistency in the gauge theory.

Is the equation ##A_\mu^a=0## unique to global gauge symmetries?

No, the equation ##A_\mu^a=0## is used in both global and local gauge symmetries. However, in local gauge symmetries, it is often replaced by the more general gauge fixing conditions, such as the Lorenz gauge or Coulomb gauge.

How does the equation ##A_\mu^a=0## relate to the concept of gauge transformations?

The equation ##A_\mu^a=0## is a result of the gauge transformation principle, which states that the physical predictions of a gauge theory should not depend on the specific choice of gauge fixing condition. This allows for the mathematical description of a gauge theory to be independent of any particular gauge choice.