Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abaqus 6.14 CAE - Imperfection Study

1. May 9, 2015 #1
    The title of the project is as follows:
    A study of the effect of imperfections on the buckling capability of a soda can under axial loading.

My group and I are aiming to carry out the following:
    • Linear buckling analysis of soda can to gain first 5 eigenvalues
    • Riks buckling analysis with plasticity and the introduction of imperfections in the form of wall thickness
    • Riks buckling analysis with plasticity and the introduction of imperfections in the form of out-of-roundness
    • Experimental analysis on an Instron machine to compare with results gained on Abaqus CAE
    The following steps were carried out for he linear buckling analysis:
    • Create part (Shell, extrusion)
    • Apply material properties and section
    • Mesh – Sweep
    • Sets of up and down slave nodes with master reference points
    • Steps – Linear perturbation, Buckle
    • Apply constraints, BCs and load
    The same was then carried out for the Riks analysis with the following changes:
    • Add plasticity values for material using true-stress strain curve
    • Steps- Riks, static step
    • Load is set for that to be equal to first buckling load (-2554.5 Pa)
    • Apply load equal to that of the first buckling load
    • Introduce imperfections using edit keywords window
      • Max deformation from linear buckling analysis normalised (1/1.092E-03)
      • Multiply by thickness (0.097E-03)
      • Multiply by 0.1 for 10% imperfection, 0.2 for 20% and so on
    • Using edit keywords window, type in what's shown on the attached image (where Buckle_load are the results from the linear analysis)
    We are now a little stuck on how to compute the imperfection in terms of out of roundness. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. May 30, 2015 #3
    Hi Ben_P_1992!

I'm new user of ABAQUS. I hope you can help me to train some knowledgement about ABAQUS related to imperfection+ static ,Riks method with educational fee

Hope receive your reply?

Sincerely!

My email: thanhhabk2006@gmail.com ur email???Ben_P_1992

5. Jul 25, 2015 #4
    Hi
    i am trying to model a cyclic load for a pipe-elbow and when i run the model it shows me the following error: :Time increment required is less than the minimum specified". Could anyone please give me some suggestions on how to eliminate this error. I have tried to change the time step, the time increment and the seeding of the model but didn't help.
    Thanks in advance

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook