ABC News->US Military: Global Warming Helps Taliban

In summary: Basically, the Army believes that global warming is going to cause all the glaciers to melt and we're going to have an ice-free world by the year 2100. This is a pretty scary idea and I'm not sure how we're going to cope with it.
Pattonias
ABC News-->US Military: Global Warming Helps Taliban

Apparently terrorism is our fault due to our greenhouse gas emissions. We have been supporting it for years.

This is probably one of the most far reaching news stories I have ever seen. Listen for yourself. I can't believe that they are trying to tie all this together.

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=8827529"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

The implication that natural disasters breed instability is logically sound, but the problem is how to actually quantify the effect. As important is how we respond to the crises. They used Somalia as an example. In Somalia, we, the world community, effectively subsidized the warlords by delivering food to them, from which they gained money and power. So is the current situation in Somalia due to the weather or is it due to the mismanagement of the aid by the UN? Heck, if the UN had ignored Somalia instead of trying to help, would Somalia be better off today?

why can't we go back to the old days when the only emotional manipulation for environmental issues was a crying native american ?

Proton Soup said:
why can't we go back to the old days when the only emotional manipulation for environmental issues was a crying native american ?

OK...that actually made me laugh.

russ_watters said:
The implication that natural disasters breed instability is logically sound, but the problem is how to actually quantify the effect. As important is how we respond to the crises. They used Somalia as an example. In Somalia, we, the world community, effectively subsidized the warlords by delivering food to them, from which they gained money and power. So is the current situation in Somalia due to the weather or is it due to the mismanagement of the aid by the UN? Heck, if the UN had ignored Somalia instead of trying to help, would Somalia be better off today?

At least in the Somalian example you can see a plain connection. You are saying that our indiscriminate distribution of food was manipulated by the warlords we were opposed to.
You are not trying to say that we are somehow responsible for Somalia being (on the edge of) a desert. There are so many other factors that contribute to the rise of terrorism that to try and say that "Global Warming" is a major factor is ludicrous. If we were to suddenly stop the global warming I seriously doubt the suicide bombers will stop. This kind of article is the kind of thing that makes global warming hard to swallow for many people. When you make these biased claims that can't be useful for anything but political claims.
It draws away from the real science behind the issue. You could say that global warming doesn't help prevent terrorism, but to say it is a major cause is a stretch.

On another note, the claim the the US Army believes this is ludicrous. They interviewed a retired general who didn't even make the claim. It is pretty obvious that the reporter wanted him to, but he never flat out said it.

Silly. A retired General, another reporter, and an aid worker in Afghanistan are the experts? Despite the title, they don't even suggest how global warming is helping the Taliban now, but do some hand waiving about the future and glacial run off. Never mind making connection between the http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/05/05/himalayas-glaciers.html" , or that any thing can be done about it in a relative time frame.

russ_watters said:

Some do make this case, that humanitarian intervention in Africa has actually had a negative net effect by helping to prop up the dysfunctional and brutal governments (amongst other things.)

mheslep said:
Silly. A retired General, another reporter, and an aid worker in Afghanistan are the experts? Despite the title, they don't even suggest how global warming is helping the Taliban now, but do some hand waiving about the future and glacial run off. Never mind making connection between the http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/05/05/himalayas-glaciers.html" , or that any thing can be done about it in a relative time frame.

From the link above:

But it's not likely to last.

"As temperatures continue increasing, they will overtake additional mass provided by snow," Fountain said. "The freezing level will keep rising, and glaciers will melt."

It is only the western glaciers and is a result of climate change that is temporary.

The US military sees climate change as one of the top threats to US security.

http://securityandclimate.cna.org/report/National%20Security%20and%20the%20Threat%20of%20Climate%20Change.pdf

Anytime their is destabilization there is opportunity for groups like the Taliban to consolidate power.

Skyhunter said:
...It is only the western glaciers and is a result of climate change that is temporary.
Yes only the western, which happen to be the largest glaciers in the world. How do you know the climate change causing western glacial advance is temporary?
The US military sees climate change as one of the top threats to US security.
Yes the US military commissioned some reports. I think you would have a tough time justifying the adjective 'top'. The CNA report is by a group of retired officers writing for a think tank, not the 'US military'.
Anytime their is destabilization there is opportunity for groups like the Taliban to consolidate power.
Well I'd say any time there are destabilizing events, then insurgent groups can further the destabilization, though it is not clear that the same groups will be able to then consolidate power. Still point taken. My point is that ABC News did not title the piece 'Climate change may aid groups like the Taliban in 20/50/100 years'. They specified the Taliban in the present tense, and the assertion that Global Warming is aiding them today, or even in the likely time frame of this particular conflict, is absurd.

mheslep said:
Yes only the western, which happen to be the largest glaciers in the world. How do you know the climate change causing western glacial advance is temporary?

That is what your link says. The reason being that as the planet warms, the frost line moves to higher elevations.

Yes the US military commissioned some reports. I think you would have a tough time justifying the adjective 'top'. The CNA report is by a group of retired officers writing for a think tank, not the 'US military'.

Terrorism, nuclear proliferation, rogue states, and climate change are the top threats to US security.

Well I'd say any time there are destabilizing events, then insurgent groups can further the destabilization, though it is not clear that the same groups will be able to then consolidate power. Still point taken. My point is that ABC News did not title the piece 'Climate change may aid groups like the Taliban in 20/50/100 years'. They specified the Taliban in the present tense, and the assertion that Global Warming is aiding them today, or even in the likely time frame of this particular conflict, is absurd.

I agree that the title doe not accurately reflect the content.

It should be noted that the US military has people that try and think out every possible scenario that could result in harm to our country. These reports are probably generated on a regular basis. The purpose is to have a plan should we end up in the worst case scenario. I wouldn't say that this means that the Army has taken to placing blame on anyone in particular for the source of global warming.

Pattonias said:
It should be noted that the US military has people that try and think out every possible scenario that could result in harm to our country. These reports are probably generated on a regular basis. The purpose is to have a plan should we end up in the worst case scenario. I wouldn't say that this means that the Army has taken to placing blame on anyone in particular for the source of global warming.

The US military is not interested in blaming someone for global warming. They are simply drawing up contingencies for the inevitable. They are not paying attention to the deniers permeating the internet, fringe media, and FOX news/commentators. They are responding to the empirical science and the various possible scenarios that will stem from the physical response of the biosphere to the gross disruption of the carbon cycle as humans release long sequestered carbon into the atmosphere at unprecedented rates.

Skyhunter said:
They are responding to the empirical science and the various possible scenarios that will stem from the physical response of the biosphere to the gross disruption of the carbon cycle as humans release long sequestered carbon into the atmosphere at unprecedented rates.

Neither are the military interested in empirical evidence of scientific claims. They are more interested in potential events than in the science of global warming. The potential for major and catastrophic events related to climate exists regardless of global warming and the military will need to respond either way. The reason for the events is immaterial to them unless of course there really are Russian weather control satellites.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Neither are the military interested in empirical evidence of scientific claims. They are more interested in potential events than in the science of global warming. The potential for major and catastrophic events related to climate exists regardless of global warming and the military will need to respond either way. The reason for the events is immaterial to them unless of course there really are Russian weather control satellites.

Actually they are quite interested in the science. They need a basis for risk assessment.

Skyhunter said:
Actually they are quite interested in the science. They need a basis for risk assessment.

They may take scientist predictions as an authority on the likelihood of major disasters and plan accordingly. Insurance companies also must weigh risks and likely take climate predictions into account. This does not mean that either group has any interest in the actual science. A potential risk is a potential risk even if it never comes to pass.

TheStatutoryApe said:
They may take scientist predictions as an authority on the likelihood of major disasters and plan accordingly. Insurance companies also must weigh risks and likely take climate predictions into account. This does not mean that either group has any interest in the actual science. A potential risk is a potential risk even if it never comes to pass.

I agree, that they are not particularly interested in the science for the sake of science. I am not sure how I gave that impression.

I think the point that I was trying to make was that the military creating a risk assessment or contingency plan in regards to global warming does not constitute military support of the science behind global warming. I think it is more of a "if this happens then this is what we'll do" sort of thing.

What is the connection between global warming and the Taliban?

The connection between global warming and the Taliban is primarily based on the impact of climate change on agriculture and natural resources in Afghanistan. As the temperature rises and precipitation patterns change, it becomes more difficult for farmers to grow crops and for livestock to graze. This leads to economic instability and food scarcity, which can make communities more vulnerable to the influence of the Taliban.

How does global warming specifically benefit the Taliban?

Global warming benefits the Taliban by creating conditions that are favorable for their recruitment and expansion. As droughts and other extreme weather events become more common, the Taliban offers economic support and stability to struggling communities. In addition, the melting of glaciers and reduced water availability can also be strategically used by the Taliban to control and exploit local communities.

What is the role of the US military in addressing global warming and its impact on the Taliban?

The US military plays a critical role in addressing global warming and its impact on the Taliban. As part of their mission to promote stability and security, the US military is actively involved in climate change mitigation efforts. This includes reducing their own carbon footprint, implementing renewable energy projects, and working with local communities to adapt to the effects of climate change.

What are some potential solutions to the issue of global warming and the Taliban?

Some potential solutions to address the issue of global warming and the Taliban include implementing sustainable agricultural practices to increase resilience to climate change, promoting economic diversification to reduce reliance on agriculture, and investing in renewable energy sources to reduce carbon emissions. Additionally, working towards political stability and conflict resolution in regions affected by the Taliban can also help mitigate the impact of global warming.

What is the current state of global warming and its impact on the Taliban?

The current state of global warming and its impact on the Taliban is concerning. Climate change is exacerbating existing issues such as poverty, food insecurity, and political instability, which in turn can lead to increased influence and recruitment by the Taliban. It is important for governments and international organizations to take immediate action to address the root causes of global warming and work towards sustainable solutions to mitigate its impact on vulnerable communities.