? about a compression spring.

In summary, leaving a compression spring under a load for extended periods can weaken or shorten its lifespan due to factors such as corrosion, creep, and fatigue. However, the extent of this effect depends on the material of the spring. It is also possible for the spring to reach a full set after one cycle and to continue to set through repeated cycles. The phenomenon of time-dependent mechanical response of the spring is referred to as creep, and this can be observed through stress relaxation or continued compression over time.
craigfperry
would you weaken or shorten the life span of a compression spring by leaving it under a load for extended periods?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes. The degree to which this does involves several factors which can be significantly different for different spring materials.
That's my opinion anyway.

Well it depends what the spring is make from really. A low creep material will never fail under the leading you describe. So the vast majority of springs will be fine under extended loading.

craigfperry said:
would you weaken or shorten the life span of a compression spring by leaving it under a load for extended periods?

Corrosion can accelerate when a material is under stress, so yes, it's possible. Creep will also be significant at sufficiently large temperatures and times.

thanks for your answers,
does the spring reach a full set after one cycle?
does it continue to set thru repeated cycles?
do you think it helps to leave it under a load for a bit to reach it's full set?

craigfperry said:
thanks for your answers,
does the spring reach a full set after one cycle?
does it continue to set thru repeated cycles?
do you think it helps to leave it under a load for a bit to reach it's full set?

The spring may plastically (i.e., permanently) deform upon the first cycle. After that, creep will occur to some degree as long as stress is applied. Additionally, crack growth (i.e., fatigue) may occur with cycling. It's impossible to estimate the severity of these two effects without more information (and may be impossible without doing experiments on the sample).

You may experience stress relaxation in stead of creep, that is for sure.

Fred's absolutely right, I should have been more precise. If you displace the end of the spring by a constant amount and observe the spring's decreasing resistance (force) over time, it's termed a stress relaxation test. If you apply a constant load and observe the continued compression (displacement) over time, it's termed a creep test. The phenomenon of time-dependent mechanical response of an undamaged specimen is generally referred to as creep. Does this sound right to you, Fred?

Yupper. I was thinking more along the lines of how compression springs tend to not return to their original length after being compressed. Both modes can definitely be experienced though. Relaxation was the first thing that popped into my mind though.

1. What is a compression spring?

A compression spring is a type of mechanical spring that is designed to compress or shorten when a force is applied to it. It is made of wire that is wound into a helical shape, and can be found in a variety of applications such as in car suspensions, pens, and mattresses.

2. How do compression springs work?

Compression springs work by storing potential energy when they are compressed, and releasing it when the force is removed. This allows the spring to return to its original shape and length. The amount of force required to compress a spring is determined by its physical characteristics, such as the wire diameter, number of coils, and material used.

3. What are the different types of materials used for compression springs?

The most common materials used for compression springs are steel, stainless steel, and music wire. Other materials such as copper, titanium, and plastic can also be used depending on the specific application. The choice of material depends on factors such as strength, corrosion resistance, temperature resistance, and cost.

4. What are the factors to consider when designing a compression spring?

When designing a compression spring, some important factors to consider include the required force or load, the amount of deflection or compression desired, the available space for the spring, and the intended application. The material, wire diameter, and number of coils are also important considerations that affect the performance of the spring.

5. How do I choose the right compression spring for my project?

Choosing the right compression spring for your project involves considering the specific requirements and limitations of your application. It is important to take into account factors such as the load, deflection, space, and environment in which the spring will be used. Consulting with a spring manufacturer or engineer can also help you select the best spring for your needs.