About an equation with eigenvalues

• Thread starter simplex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eigenvalues
In summary: Yes, if you use the Fourier decomposition in series. Otherwise, you might get a solution that is oscillating but it is not a physical quantity.
simplex
Let's say I have the equation p(t)f''(t)=Kf(t) with p(t) a known periodical function, K an unknown constant and f(t) the unknown function.

This is an eigenvalues problem that once solved gives a set of K={k1, k2,...} eigenvalues.

I get these eigenvalues and they coincide with the ones obtained by others so I got them right.

Question
What if I try to solve the equation with a K that does not belong to the set of eigenvalues?
I have the initial conditions: f(0) and f'(0), I choose a K which is not an eigenvalue and I try to solve numerically the equation (using MATLAB):

What happens with f(t)? It is clear that I will get a solution. What is the difference between this solution with a forbidden K and a solution with an allowed K?

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem as given clearly has the "trivial solution", f(x)= 0 for all x, as solution. If k is not an eigenvalue, then that will be the only solution.

The equation Lv= Kv always has the "trivial solution" v= 0.

K is an eigenvalue of operator L if and only if there is a non-trivial solution to Lv= Kv. That is the definition of "eigenvalue".

Notice that this is an "existence and uniqueness" question. There always exists the trivial solution. K is an eigenvalue if that solution is not unique.

For instance, I have the equation:
f''(t)+M(6+5*sin(2*pi*t))f(t)=0 which is the same as the equation p(t)f''(t)=Kf(t); [p=1/(6+5*sin(2*pi*t)), M=-K]
initian conditions
f(0)=1, f'(0)=0.5.

With M=1.579 which is not an eigenvalue I get (solving the equation with "odesolve" from Mathcad) a f(t) that is sinusoidal but exponentially growing.

It looks like f(t) exists despite the fact that I solved an equation for a forbidden value of its eigenvalues, M.

Last edited:
This is not an eigenvalue problem. The "trivial solution", f(x)= 0, does not satisfy f(0)= 1 or f'(0)= 0.5.

An equation of this form: f''(x)+M(6+5*sin(2*pi*x))f(x)=0 appears in many works.

What I noticed they do, to deal with it, is they suppose that f(x) can be written as a Fourier series (no initial conditions or other restrictions are imposed). They truncate the Fourier sum to 20-30 coefficients, they transform the equation in a matrix equation, calculate the eigenvalues of the matrix eq. and from here they get a set of M=m1, m2, ... eigenvalues.

Question: What exactly does it mean? That they are looking only for solutions that have a Fourier representation (with a finite number of coefficients) and the eigenvalues they get correspond to the existence of these solutions?

After getting the set of eigenvalues they start to consider that f(x) has various initial conditions f(0) and f'(0). For each eigenvalues belonging to the set M=m1, m2, ... they get (using "odesolve" from Mathcad) sinusoidal solutions that do not grow in time, they are oscillating no matter what the initial conditions are (excepting the case when these conditions are zero).

For M outside the set m1, m2, ... (not an eigenvalue of the initial problem) they just say that this is a forbidden domain and do not approach the case any further.

The final goal for them is to identify when this equation (which describe a physical system) has as solutions oscillations. They choose an M=m1 or M=m2 etc., and after that they work with their physical system in the oscillatory regime.

In my case M is a parameter that can be varied by hand and in order to pass it from m1 to m2 I have to cross non eigenvalues which generate exponentially growing f(x) (at least these are the solutions I get in Mathcad with "odesolve") compromising the device as long as f(x) is a physical quantity, that normally can not grow indefinitely.

So my final Question: If I use the method with the Fourier decomposition (in series) can I be sure that for an M that is not an eigenvalue of the equation, no f(x) that start to -infinitum and stop to +infinitum and in the same time have a Fourier decomposition exists?

1. What is an eigenvalue?

An eigenvalue is a number that represents a special property of a square matrix. It is calculated by finding the roots of the characteristic equation of the matrix.

2. What is the significance of eigenvalues in mathematics?

Eigenvalues have many applications in mathematics, including in linear algebra, differential equations, and physics. They help us understand the behavior of linear transformations and systems of equations.

3. How are eigenvalues related to eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are closely related. Eigenvectors are the corresponding vectors to eigenvalues, and they represent the direction in which the linear transformation given by the matrix stretches or compresses.

4. Can an equation have multiple eigenvalues?

Yes, an equation can have multiple eigenvalues. The number of eigenvalues is equal to the dimension of the matrix. For example, a 3x3 matrix will have three eigenvalues.

5. How are eigenvalues used in data analysis?

Eigenvalues are used in data analysis to reduce the dimensionality of a dataset. By finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a covariance matrix, we can identify the most important features and reduce the number of variables needed to represent the data.