About derivations of lie algebra

In summary, a derivation of the Lie algebra ##sl_2## is a linear map ##\delta: \mathfrak{g} \rightarrow \mathfrak{g}## such that ##\delta([x, y])=[\delta(x), y]+[x, \delta(y)]##, for all ##x## and ##y## in ##\mathfrak{g}##.
HDB1
TL;DR Summary
Derivation on lie algebra ##sl_2##
Please, I am looking for a simple example of derivation on ##sl_2##, if possible, I try to use identity map, but not work with me,

A derivation of the Lie algebra ##\mathfrak{g}## is a linear map ##\delta: \mathfrak{g} \rightarrow \mathfrak{g}## such that ##\delta([x, y])=[\delta(x), y]+[x, \delta(y)]##, for all ##x## and ##y## in ##\mathfrak{g}##.Thanks in advance, :heart:

Physics news on Phys.org
dear @fresh_42 , if you could help, I would appreciate it, :heart:

HDB1 said:
TL;DR Summary: Derivation on lie algebra ##sl_2##

Please, I am looking for a simple example of derivation on ##sl_2##, if possible, I try to use identity map, but not work with me,

A derivation of the Lie algebra ##\mathfrak{g}## is a linear map ##\delta: \mathfrak{g} \rightarrow \mathfrak{g}## such that ##\delta([x, y])=[\delta(x), y]+[x, \delta(y)]##, for all ##x## and ##y## in ##\mathfrak{g}##.Thanks in advance, :heart:
Well, how should I say it?

For every semisimple Lie algebra ##L##, and ##\mathfrak{sl}(2)## is simple and therefore semisimple, all derivations are inner derivations. Inner derivations are all transformations ##\operatorname{ad}X## with ##X\in L.## This is the second Whitehead lemma IIRC and it should be somewhere in Humphreys, too.

So for semisimple Lie algebras, ##\delta =\operatorname{ad}(X)## for some ##X\in L.## Hence ##X \longmapsto (Y\longmapsto \operatorname{ad}(X)(Y)=[X,Y]## are already all derivations you can get for ##sl(2).## And since the center of ##L## which is the kernel of ##\operatorname{ad}## is zero, we even have
$$
L\cong \operatorname{ad}L =\operatorname{Der}(L)
$$
Derivations are basically the Leibniz rule in calculus:
$$
(f\cdot g)' = f' \cdot g+f\cdot g' \Leftrightarrow D(f\cdot g)=D(f)\cdot g+f\cdot D(g) \Leftrightarrow
\delta([f, g])=[\delta(f), g]+[f, \delta(g)]
$$
and the similarity is not by chance!

So if you need a derivation of ##\mathfrak{sl}(2)## then how about
$$
\operatorname{ad}H=\begin{pmatrix}2&0&0\\0&0&0\\0&0&-2\end{pmatrix}
$$

Likes HDB1
fresh_42 said:
$$
L\cong \operatorname{ad}L =\operatorname{Der}(L)
$$
Thank you, please, could you explain here why we have isomorphism?

Thanks in advance,

HDB1 said:
Thank you, please, could you explain here why we have isomorphism?

Thanks in advance,
We have a surjective transformation ##L\longrightarrow \operatorname{ad}L=\{\operatorname{ad}X\,|\,X\in L\}## per definition. ##\operatorname{ad}## is linear and for the sake of the Jacobi identity also a Lie algebra homomorphism. So all that remains to show is that it is injective, or that ##\ker\operatorname{ad}(L)=\{0\}.## However,
\begin{align*}
\ker\operatorname{ad}(L)&=\{X\in L\,|\,\operatorname{ad}(X)\equiv 0\}=
\{X\in L\,|\,\operatorname{ad}(X)(Y)=0\text{ for all }Y\in L\}\\
&=\{X\in L\,|\,[X,Y]=0\text{ for all }Y\in L\}=Z(L)
\end{align*}

I used to write ##\mathfrak{Z}(L)## as the center of ##L##. I'm used to fraktura that leaves more letters for elements and ordinary sets and is a better distinction if also Lie groups are involved. I think Humphreys writes it ##\mathfrak{Z}(L)=Z(L)=C(L),## one of these.

Anyway, the center is an abelian ideal, hence a solvable ideal, hence contained in the maximal solvable ideal, which is the radical, but the radical of a semisimple Lie algebra is zero by definition of semisimplicity. The center of semisimple ideals is thus the zero ideal.

• Love
Likes HDB1
Thank you so much for your help, @fresh_42 , words can't help me to express how grateful I am to you, :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

What is a derivation of a Lie algebra?

A derivation of a Lie algebra is a linear map that preserves the Lie bracket operation. In other words, it is a map that takes two elements of the Lie algebra and produces another element, satisfying the properties of the Lie bracket.

What is the significance of derivations in Lie algebras?

Derivations play a crucial role in understanding the structure and properties of Lie algebras. They provide a way to study the symmetries and transformations of a Lie algebra, and are essential in the study of Lie groups and their representations.

How are derivations of Lie algebras related to Lie groups?

There is a close relationship between derivations of Lie algebras and Lie groups. In fact, the set of all derivations of a Lie algebra forms a Lie algebra itself, and this Lie algebra is closely related to the Lie algebra of the corresponding Lie group. This connection allows for the study of Lie groups through their associated Lie algebras.

Are all linear maps on a Lie algebra derivations?

No, not all linear maps on a Lie algebra are derivations. A map must satisfy certain properties, such as preserving the Lie bracket, to be considered a derivation. Linear maps that do not satisfy these properties are not considered derivations.

What are some applications of derivations in Lie algebras?

Derivations have many applications in mathematics and physics. They are used in the study of Lie groups and their representations, as well as in the study of differential equations and dynamical systems. They also have applications in theoretical physics, particularly in the study of symmetries and conservation laws.