1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About Green's function in time dependent schrodinger equation

1. Jul 18, 2012 #1
    While I was studying Ch 2.5 of Sakurai, I have a question about Green's function in time dependent schrodinger equation. (Specifically, page 110~111 are relevant to my question)

Eq (2.5.7) and Eq (2.5.12) of Sakurai say
    [itex]\psi(x'',t) = \int d^3x' K(x'',t;x',t_0)\psi(x',t_0)[/itex]
    and
    [itex]\left(H-i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\right)K(x'',t,x',t_0) = -i\hbar\delta^3(x''-x')\delta(t-t_0)[/itex]

We know from the basic Schrodinger equation
    [itex]\left(H-i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\right)\psi(x,t) = 0 [/itex]

So, I applied the differential operator to Eq (2.5.7) and use Eq(2.5.12). But, I couldn't get the right Schrodinger equation like this.
    [itex]\left ( H - i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\right ) \psi (x'',t) = \left ( H - i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\right ) \int dx' K(x'',t;x',t_0) \psi(x',t_0) = \int \left [ \left ( H - i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\right ) K(x'',t;x',t_0) \right ] \psi(x',t_0) dx' = -i \hbar \int \psi(x', t_0) \delta(x''-x') \delta(t-t_0)dx'[/itex]
    [itex]=-i \hbar \psi(x'',t_0) \delta(t-t_0)[/itex]
    which is non zero at t=t_0

What is the point that I am missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Note the boundary condition on K as given in equation (2.5.13). Thus the equation (2.5.7) is only valid for t > to. For t < to, the right hand side of equation (2.5.7) will yield 0 because of (2.5.13). To make (2.5.7) valid for both t > to and t < to, you can introduce the step function θ(t-t0) and write (2.5.7) as

[itex]\theta[/itex](t-to) [itex]\psi(x'', t)[/itex]= [same right hand side as before]

This equation now incorporates the boundary condition on K.

See if everything works out if you apply (H-i[itex]\hbar[/itex][itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}[/itex]) to both sides of this equation.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook