About Green's function in time dependent schrodinger equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Green's function in the time-dependent Schrodinger equation. The speaker has a question regarding the application of the differential operator to the equation and notes the boundary condition stated in equation (2.5.13). It is pointed out that the equation is only valid for t > to and to make it valid for both t > to and t < to, the step function θ(t-t0) can be introduced. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to apply (H-i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}) to both sides of the equation to confirm its validity.
wphysics
While I was studying Ch 2.5 of Sakurai, I have a question about Green's function in time dependent schrodinger equation. (Specifically, page 110~111 are relevant to my question)

Eq (2.5.7) and Eq (2.5.12) of Sakurai say
[itex]\psi(x'',t) = \int d^3x' K(x'',t;x',t_0)\psi(x',t_0)[/itex]
and
[itex]\left(H-i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\right)K(x'',t,x',t_0) = -i\hbar\delta^3(x''-x')\delta(t-t_0)[/itex]

We know from the basic Schrodinger equation
[itex]\left(H-i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\right)\psi(x,t) = 0 [/itex]

So, I applied the differential operator to Eq (2.5.7) and use Eq(2.5.12). But, I couldn't get the right Schrodinger equation like this.
[itex]\left ( H - i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\right ) \psi (x'',t) = \left ( H - i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\right ) \int dx' K(x'',t;x',t_0) \psi(x',t_0) = \int \left [ \left ( H - i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\right ) K(x'',t;x',t_0) \right ] \psi(x',t_0) dx' = -i \hbar \int \psi(x', t_0) \delta(x''-x') \delta(t-t_0)dx'[/itex]
[itex]=-i \hbar \psi(x'',t_0) \delta(t-t_0)[/itex]
which is non zero at t=t_0

What is the point that I am missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Note the boundary condition on K as given in equation (2.5.13). Thus the equation (2.5.7) is only valid for t > to. For t < to, the right hand side of equation (2.5.7) will yield 0 because of (2.5.13). To make (2.5.7) valid for both t > to and t < to, you can introduce the step function θ(t-t0) and write (2.5.7) as

[itex]\theta[/itex](t-to) [itex]\psi(x'', t)[/itex]= [same right hand side as before]

This equation now incorporates the boundary condition on K.

See if everything works out if you apply (H-i[itex]\hbar[/itex][itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}[/itex]) to both sides of this equation.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of Green's function in the time dependent Schrodinger equation?

Green's function is a mathematical tool used to solve differential equations, including the time dependent Schrodinger equation. It allows us to find the solution to the equation for a specific boundary condition, making it a powerful method for solving time dependent problems in quantum mechanics.

2. How does Green's function relate to the time evolution of a quantum system?

Green's function is closely related to the time evolution of a quantum system because it describes the propagation of a particle in time. It can be used to calculate the probability of finding a particle at a specific position and time, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

3. Can Green's function be used for any time dependent potential in the Schrodinger equation?

Yes, Green's function can be used for any time dependent potential in the Schrodinger equation as long as the potential is well-defined and bounded. This allows for a wide range of applications, from simple one-dimensional problems to complex systems with time-varying potentials.

4. How is Green's function calculated in the time dependent Schrodinger equation?

The Green's function for the time dependent Schrodinger equation is calculated using an integral representation that involves the Hamiltonian of the system. This integral can be solved using various techniques, such as perturbation theory or numerical methods, to obtain the Green's function for a specific system.

5. What are the advantages of using Green's function in solving the time dependent Schrodinger equation?

Green's function has several advantages in solving the time dependent Schrodinger equation. It allows for the calculation of the time evolution of a system for a specific boundary condition, making it a powerful tool for studying time-dependent phenomena. It also provides a systematic approach for solving differential equations and can be applied to a wide range of problems, making it a versatile tool for scientists and researchers.